First Bonito for 2014

aeb870

So again, another weekend where I was visiting the parents and as usual the rods in the back.

Got up Saturday morning, later than expected and got to Port Kembla northern wall at about 8am. Seemed very quiet and actually wasn't looking good at with the wind picking up and blowing straight into my face.

First cast and straight onto a 60+ cm Salmon that I dropped at my feet. Couple of casts later and another Salmon that a bloke walking past took interest in so I gave it to him. 3rd and exactly what I wanted all summer was my first Bonito of 2014 (a bit late, but they also turned up late). Not a large one, 40cm, but nothing short of an awesome fight.

post-15508-13956440891249_thumb.jpg

After that every retrieve had a salmon zipping after it with another 2 caught and half a dozen dropped at my feet. Gave all the Salmon away, not a big fan of eating them. Would have returned them to the water but the blokes around me were so happy...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ye tell me about it, this is definitely the hardest year I have tried to catch Bonito and also the least Bonito I have caught in one season. Just terrible.

The Salmon definitely made others happy so why not, showed a few blokes how to bleed them too

Even though the salmon weren't the target they would have kept the interest level up.

I haven't seen a lot of bonnies this year either

By far the biggest school of Salmon I have possibly ever come across. Definitely kept me interested and tired me out

Its that squid lure setup, I promise I will take a photo of the setup as I always get asked. Will need to prepare a rig soon so will take a few pics describing how to do it.

More than 5 years ago I had regular spots that I fished. Now after moving to Sydney when I do go back most of my regular spots are taken. Last time I fished just before the 630m marker. On the ocean side you will find a flat sort of rock pointing straight out to the ocean. Landing fish there was a bit tricky but far from impossible.

I think I was in luck because I had never fished that spot and at on stage I was the only one catching that day

congrats on your 1st bonito mate...squid skirt on float is one of the best setup for chasing bonito off rocks...we havent seen alot of bonito this year so far...we normally bagged out from dec to mar every year around port kembla/bass point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeb870 I was at there 2 weeks ago I saw heaps of blokes keep pulling up 1 by another 1, definitely there is alot there, tide wise was low tide. Using squid lure with a float 2m+ above and a weight.

I am not sure how to do the set up but this is what I have seen.