Lures/SP at night?

SgtBundy

Just curious - a bit of googling suggests that plastics and lures still work at night, and that even using darker or "non bright" colours work fairly well.

The curiosity is if this is as effective as using baits at night, or do the problems of being unable to see the lure and line at night just make it too much of a hassle to use lures or soft plastics at night?

Question is because I was considering heading out tonight but didn't want to spend the night feeding pickers with servo prawns (I only have a light rig at the moment). Last time I was out after dark I had a go with a SP but it was just impossible to tell what was going on, so other than a slow troll I couldn't do much with it. I also thought that while a lure might be ok once spotted, it might not be as effective at attracting fish as some bait wafting in the water would be.

I've had some great success with them at night, bagging some bream, but you're on the money with not being able to see! Cant see the line /what the lures doing so it makes it tricky! I would say smell would be a big factor for fish at night, why baits are probably more effective, maybe vibration too so a paddle tail or blade? And liberal scent application :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk