Embarrassing yet saddest moment of my fishing career.

Michael Pitt

I am so embarrassed that I'm not sure I want to share it with anyone...but I will 'cause I have to let it off somehow.

There's a fish right now swimming around Sydney Harbour trailing a rod and reel.Lord only knows what's going to happen with the fish. I mean, getting on with its' life towing a fishing rod wherever it goes. How does it feed itself with a hook still in its mouth...how does it chase food with a heavy rod pulling it back...does it interrupt its sex life. Or it falls prey to some larger fish and that too trails a fishing rod for the rest of its life. Best thing would be of course if it bites off the hook. If it doesn't the line may inevitably get tangled around an anchor chain, or a pylon or rocks or whatever. So that means it will be anchored somewhere. Or someone fishing and pulling up a rod...a double bonus, rod and fish, providing the fish is still alive of course. The imagination runs wild with all the possibilities.

I'm embarrassed because it was such a stupid error on my part...and sad because I lost my favourite rod and probably a big fish into the bargain. The rod I can replace...that particular fish I can't.

So, how did it happen. Fishing from a wharf with one rod, not getting any bites so I laid it on the ground next to me and started setting up another rod. Just about to thread the line through the eyes and all of a sudden off whizzed the rod on the ground. Stupidly I thought I'll just lay the rod here for a sec while I set up my second rod little realizing that I was just about to get a strike. I still reckon it must have been a big fish given the speed with which the rod disappeared and length out from the wharf that it landed.

Hahaha yeah it's all good, I saw my mates $700 combo fly off the side of a tinny, all because he forgot to set the drag, and $100 says it was a silver trevally, we had caught 5 or so 30-35cm specimens leading up to that.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Dad and I were fishing at Patonga yesterday and watched some kayakers go out - one paddle, one a Hobie with pedal drive. Dad has a Hobie himself so was taking an interest. Without being too judgemental, I dare say the guy on the paddle kayak was somewhat oversize for it (to the degree he was spilling over the sides).

Anyway, we see them come back about an hour later, the hobie was towing the other guy back in - we guessed he had run out of puff because he didn't seem the fittest specimen (not that I can say much in that regard). The Hobie guy lets the paddle one go and he starts paddling the rest of the way in from about 50m out, but is sitting awful low in the water with the rear sinking. Next thing he is in the water, the kayak is overturned, and the hobie is furiously coming back to rescue him.

Dad reckoned there were at least three rods that disappeared from the kayak after that, not to mention whatever other gear was in there. Once the paddle guy was back on shore the Hobie came back out and went diving for the gear but seemed to come back empty.

Not sure whose gear it was, but the mood seemed tense between the two of them after that...

Dad and I were fishing at Patonga yesterday and watched some kayakers go out - one paddle, one a Hobie with pedal drive.  Dad has a Hobie himself so was taking an interest.  Without being too judgemental, I dare say the guy on the paddle kayak was somewhat oversize for it (to the degree he was spilling over the sides).

Anyway, we see them come back about an hour later, the hobie was towing the other guy back in - we guessed he had run out of puff because he didn't seem the fittest specimen (not that I can say much in that regard).  The Hobie guy lets the paddle one go and he starts paddling the rest of the way in from about 50m out, but is sitting awful low in the water with the rear sinking.  Next thing he is in the water, the kayak is overturned, and the hobie is furiously coming back to rescue him.

Dad reckoned there were at least three rods that disappeared from the kayak after that, not to mention whatever other gear was in there.  Once the paddle guy was back on shore the Hobie came back out and went diving for the gear but seemed to come back empty.

Not sure whose gear it was, but the mood seemed tense between the two of them after that...

Probably a day they'd both rather forget...

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

I did something similar a couple of years ago. Set me rod up trolling a lure behind Welsh daves boat. He shouted for me to set his up too ( he was driving) so turned round to grab his.

Turned back and no sign of my rod. $250 combo gone for the sake of lashing it to the boat.

Doooooh

......... SaltWaterDog

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Unlucky on the rod mate! Bet you never do that again. Sometimes it costs us plenty to learn lessons, but that's life!

Did you manage any other fish while you were there? Or were you to disappointed to continue?

Cheers scratchie!!!

It hasn't happened to me yet (touch wood) but I learned the lesson after seeing my mate do it once... He threw in a plastic and rested his rod on the side of the boat whilst setting up a bait rod. I heard a clatter and turned just in time to see his plastic loaded rod go sailing over the side and toward the horizon. He let out a big "shite... my rod" and asked our mate who was driving to go after it. It was too late for that though as it was already sinking down to Davey Jones. I tried a couple of times to jag it with my lure but it was to no avail. To this day I don't let go of a loaded rod in the water unless it is in a rod holder. I daresay it will stay that way too after hearing of so many folks loosing their gear to an unexpected fish.

Luc.

My mate put my rod in the rod holder of the boat. He asked me if the holder would hold the rod. He got his answer pretty fast, not from me, but from the rod going into the water. This after my mum leaving a light rod in the rodholder, and the boat hitting some bigger waves.

Most be rod mating season down there, the way the disappear.

Happened to a mate of mine on a charter, that made for an expensive day out.

Just bad luck mate Sorry

I read a story on the weekend about the naval jetty near Cobblers Beach. In the fifties there were rumours of massive fish lurking in the waters there.

In the mid seventies the jetty was open to the public. A fellow called Chris Ward went down with game rod and full gimbal harness to try his luck.

He hooked something huge and was pulled off the wharf and disappeared.

In 1977 a prawn trawler netted a 300+lb Black Cod under Gladesville Bridge. It had thick line running out of its mouth.

When they pulled in the line it was attached to his rod and his skeletal remains still in the harness.

That's real bad luck.

Unlucky on the rod mate! Bet you never do that again. Sometimes it costs us plenty to learn lessons, but that's life!

Did you manage any other fish while you were there? Or were you to disappointed to continue?

Cheers scratchie!!!

Lots of Yakkas. It was their fault...like baiting up to try for something bigger but after I lost the rod too dejected to do anything other than sulk!! A good tip from Troutboy....."always open the Bail Arm when putting down the rod". Yep, a lesson well learned.

Just bad luck mate Sorry

I read a story on the weekend about the naval jetty near Cobblers Beach. In the fifties there were rumours of massive fish lurking in the waters there.

In the mid seventies the jetty was open to the public. A fellow called Chris Ward went down with game rod and full gimbal harness to try his luck.

In 1977 a prawn trawler netted a 300+lb Black Cod under Gladesville Bridge. It had thick line running out of its mouth.

When they pulled in the line it was attached to his rod and his skeletal remains still in the harness.

That's real bad luck.

Luv it. Whata larf!. Just made my day

Just bad luck mate Sorry

That's real bad luck.

That reeks of urban legend hehe.

A couple of things don't sit well with me there.

1) The hook surely would have dissolved in the salt water in a few weeks/months after it was taken and not still stuck in the fish 20 years later.

2) The remains would have fallen apart after the muscles and tendons were either eaten or decomposed in a relatively short period of time.

3) The gimbal and harness would also have rotted andfallen apart after 20 years in the water.

Sorry to burst the bubble. Good story though hehehe.

That reeks of urban legend hehe.

A couple of things don't sit well with me there.

1) The hook surely would have dissolved in the salt water in a few weeks/months after it was taken and not still stuck in the fish 20 years later.

2) The remains would have fallen apart after the muscles and tendons were either eaten or decomposed in a relatively short period of time.

3) The gimbal and harness would also have rotted andfallen apart after 20 years in the water.

Sorry to burst the bubble. Good story though hehehe.

Geez luc, why do you let the truth get in the way of a good story!!!

You know we are all fishos!

How big was that fish??????????????????

Lol... Great urban myth though!

Reading all this makes me laugh, so much gear on the bottom of the ocean. To this day i have caught to rod and real combos. One was a soggy rusted mess, but the other I cleaned up and rebuilt (rod seat, handle and eylets). Im still using it to this day! Anyone loose a 3 peice graphite stick at Snapper Point? :clapping: