Port Hacking - a few tailor

Yowie

Fished the usual spot in the deep off Lilli Pilli early this morning, rather quiet.

Only 1 yellowtail, which was cut into strips. All that produced was 1 undersized reddie, 1 tailor and 1 bonito about 40cm, and that was it. All took the baits from the bottom. Pillies and squid strips did not attract a bite, even moving the baits did nothing. Very strange.

Up anchor and was about to head home, when I saw a few birds diving near the Deer Park shoreline. Motored over and threw out a small metal lure. Hit by a tailor straight away. The water still has colour after the rain, the tailor were not jumping but staying deep. It was just a matter of throwing out in different spots until a fish grabbed the lure. Landed 6 tailor to about 42cm, also dropped a few near the boat when the hook came loose. Had a few follows behind the lure as well. The lure only has a small treble.

The tailor moved around a bit, just a matter of casting out and hooking up when they swam back into range.

Threw out a pillie on ganged hooks, which sank near the bottom while I was drifting about, and it was grabbed by a jewie about 60cm. Released.

It was enough for a few feeds of fillets to various family members, so headed home.

I took a photo with my phone, like I normally do, but a message came up that the file is too big to upload. Tried to re-size but it won't work.

Edited by yowie

Hi

Saw you anchored up in the deep early yesterday as we were going past on the way to the ocean.

Hard to miss the tinnie with 2 coloured flashes along the side and someone fishing with handlines.

Didn't come over as I thought I might spook the fish and ruin a hot bite (and the dollies were calling).

I usually fish further over towards the baths at the bottom of the slope but it seems to be hit and miss this year.

But you always manage a feed.

Bruce

Hi

Saw you anchored up in the deep early yesterday as we were going past on the way to the ocean.

Hard to miss the tinnie with 2 coloured flashes along the side and someone fishing with handlines.

Didn't come over as I thought I might spook the fish and ruin a hot bite (and the dollies were calling).

I usually fish further over towards the baths at the bottom of the slope but it seems to be hit and miss this year.

But you always manage a feed.

Bruce

That was probably me. Call over next time.