Dollies, Dollies and More Dollies with HookerBruce

Talks 2 Fish

With it being a few years since chasing the dolphin fish off Sydney and all the reports coming in I decided it was time to give them a go. After arranging to be working from home today, quick call to my dad, HookerBruce, earlier in the week and the weather being onside everything fell into place.

After hitting the water just before 6 we filled up with livies and headed out through the heads and onto the Port Hacking Fad. As we travelled out the water temp steadily climbed and by the time we reached the fad it had climbed to 26 degrees.

Approx 8km short of the FAD we came across a set of free floating fish trap buoys. As we motored close we were welcomed by hordes of hungry dollies. The first livies were sent over and we were both instantly hooked up with fish around the 70cm mark. For the next 1 1/2 hours every line which hit the water was set upon. Approx 25 fish were boated during this time ranging from around 50cm up to the biggest for the day at 95cm.

The decision was made to keep heading out to the FAD and see if we could find a larger fish. As we approached the FAD 2 things stuck out. Firstly were the free jumping fish and secondly was that we were the only boat out there. We actually never saw another boat all day and had the FAD to our selves until we left just after 1.

We probably landed at least another 20 fish at the FAD with the average size around 80cm. We ended up keeping 8 fish for the day with 4 of them over 90cm and the smallest at 75cm plus released about 6 which were over 90cm. Only saw one larger fish which looked approx 110-120, unfortunately it followed up a hooked fish when we were both already hooked up.

Would have to say it is the most dolphin fish I have ever seen and caught off Sydney (probably anywhere) and of a quality size, having the FAD to yourself all day also helps. Hopefully we get a few more of these stronger currents and they keep up like this, at least for next summer anyway.

post-33462-0-55198000-1397046884_thumb.jpg

post-33462-0-73834300-1397046888_thumb.jpg

post-33462-0-05453000-1397046893_thumb.jpg

post-33462-0-76334800-1397047685_thumb.jpg

post-33462-0-24668300-1397047677_thumb.jpg

post-33462-0-30771000-1397046876_thumb.jpg

post-33462-0-68422000-1397046879_thumb.jpg

Great day out

Must of been heaps of fun

Just wondering how many yakkas u guys get

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it was around 20-25 yakkas. Depends on how many are around and their size, but if we get more than this they can start to die in the tank. They only lasted about half the day till we ran out but the dolphin fish we eating anything.

well done mate...we love eating dollies atm...my kids ate around 2kgs in one serving...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily my kids aren't that big yet so I still get to eat most of my fish myself, though the older can give it a good go. The younger one is more interested in the chips that go with the fish

Luckily my kids aren't that big yet so I still get to eat most of my fish myself, though the older can give it a good go. The younger one is more interested in the chips that go with the fish

Mate...just make fish cocktails with d dollys...kids love them...

I had some pan fried for lunch...beautiful...ate 3 whole fillets...

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

I think it was around 20-25 yakkas. Depends on how many are around and their size, but if we get more than this they can start to die in the tank. They only lasted about half the day till we ran out but the dolphin fish we eating anything.

We used stripe tuna strips for bait...caught a dolly as soon as it hit d water...bagged out in no time...

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk