Getting ready for the fishing trip.

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

You know I think I like getting ready for a fishing trip almost as much as I like the trip itself...well maybe not almost as much but I sure like the anticipation.

I am doing that now.

I am preparing for an early start this coming Fishday ...er I mean Friday.

The boats all fuelled and ready to go, I will prepare food tomorrow and buy a little frozen bait as a standby.

I will head off down the Parra at around 3am and expect to be back at around 5pm.

I have re-rigged 8 rods and a hand line in anticipation carefully replacing any suspect looking leaders or stripping off the last few meters of line and retying all my knots. I have serviced my gear, sharpened my hooks and inspected every rig a few times over. This is what I am taking.

1) Handline with 6lb line and a small long shank hook - my yakka rig

2) My Sabiki bait rod for when the yakkas are fired up and will take the lures without loading them with bait

3) A spin stick loaded with 3Kg line and terminated in a swivel attached to a little white bait looking metal lure for anything that busts up on the surface.

4) Another little spin stick with my favourite squid jig.

5) A 5- 10 Kg 7 Foot ugly stick fitted with a Shimano Baitrunner, 10KG braid and a 20KG Leader and a two hook rig for live squid

6) Another 5-10kg 7 foot ugly stick pretty much the same but with a single extra strong live bait hook for live yakkas

7) A 15Kg Ugly stick fitted with a shimano TLD15, 20Kg braid and a 30KG leader with an extra strong live bait hook. for those kings who keep busting me off on the pilons.

8) A 3 KG rig as a stand by for tossing soft plastics.

9) Another 3 kg rigged for bait fishing bream and flathead ( when I am having my lunch)

My aim it to catch my live bait and target jewies before dawn and kings up until about 10am when they I find they tend to go a little quite.

If I see any surface action I am ready to toss the metal lures and later in the day I might just take it easy, burley up and see what comes along.

I am fishing by myself after a rough week at the office.

I love company but there are times when I just want to be accountable only to myself... and the fish.

Luxury....

I am sure many Raiders can relate to this.

Wish me luck.

Am I reading 9 rods for 1 person ? Be careful only allowed 4 , other than that good luck & I understand what your saying the anticipation is almost as good as the day, I struggle to sleep

I don't believe this is a problem if you don't fish with them all at one time.

These are the rules

• A maximum of four rods or lines can be used by any one person at any one time.
  • If any rods or lines are left unattended, they must be clearly marked with the fisher’s name and address or name and boat registration number.
  • A maximum of three hooks or three gangs of hooks can be attached per line. A gang of hooks should have no more than five hooks.
  • One line may have six single hooks with a lure attached to be used by the method of hand jigging only.
  • A maximum of three treble hooks can be attached to a lure.

I purpose rig so I don't have to change tackle not so I can fish with lots of rods at the same time.

I mainly fish for Jewies and Kings... rarely have more than two rods in at any one time.

I also mostly catch and release anyway.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

I couldn't agree more about the anticipation factor Mate. If I'm heading out on a Saturday morning, I'll usually spend a bit of time each night after work that week getting stuff ready, whether it be refueling the boat, rigging up the rods, tidying up the tackle etc.

Fishing after all is really 95% anticipation and 5% catching fish I reckon.

And I believe you're also right about the rods, as long as you don't fish more than 4 at a time.

I don't believe this is a problem if you don't fish with them all at one time.

These are the rules

• A maximum of four rods or lines can be used by any one person at any one time.
  • If any rods or lines are left unattended, they must be clearly marked with the fisher’s name and address or name and boat registration number.
  • A maximum of three hooks or three gangs of hooks can be attached per line. A gang of hooks should have no more than five hooks.
  • One line may have six single hooks with a lure attached to be used by the method of hand jigging only.
  • A maximum of three treble hooks can be attached to a lure.

I purpose rig so I don't have to change tackle not so I can fish with lots of rods at the same time.

I mainly fish for Jewies and Kings... rarely have more than two rods in at any one time.

I also mostly catch and release anyway.

Cheers

Jim

I hope you enjoy you day fishing.

Just thought I would post this as people have commented in the past how they have been fined for having more than 4 rods rigged.

You may have missed the line just under the table of gear allowed and above the rules you quoted, it reads.

The table provides a maximum of each gear type permitted per person in use or in possession at any time.

Edited by Dalucius

I have just phoned fisheries to get a definitive answer. Spoke to a very knowledgeable guy who confirmed that you are allowed a maximum of four rigged rods. I. E. Only 4 rods or hand lines or combined that have terminal tackle on. I'll check after work and post the paragraph which he says has been updated.

......... SaltWaterDog

Thanks,

I rang the Fisheries department and confirmed the rules once and for all.

No more that 4 Rods rigged and in use or in possession at one time per person.

Rigged means line through the runners and terminated ( a swivel counts)

Fisheries guy was pretty cool about the whole thing... said the rules were made at a time fisho's didn't have purpose built gear like Sabiki rods and every rigged rod

was destined for simultaneous use.

To stop people just pulling a rod out of the water when the fisheries guy turned up and saying " I wasn't using that one" they just extended it to " rigged rods or hand lines in possession". The rules are a little out dated but designed to limit the actual number of lines in the water.

He said ... look, if a fisheries guy turns up and you are clearly not using all your gear and you don't pack attitude and your boat isn't a floating safety and fish pillaging indiscretion he will just give a quick warning on the fly.

Personally, I don't like breaking the rules so I will work around it. The Sabiki is an interesting one as unrigging and re rigging is a drama.

hmm....maybe I'll just take the risk.

Edited by fragmeister

I have just phoned fisheries to get a definitive answer. Spoke to a very knowledgeable guy who confirmed that you are allowed a maximum of four rigged rods. I. E. Only 4 rods or hand lines or combined that have terminal tackle on. I'll check after work and post the paragraph which he says has been updated.

......... SaltWaterDog

LOL ... I wonder if we talked to the same guy?

Ok. I couldn't post fully before as at work. I've had a chance to read fragmiester post and have to disagree with some of your post.

the conversation went like this.

I called the fisheries and spoke to a guy who said he thought you could have more than 4 rods but no more than 4 rigged at once though, he sounded hesitant. I tried pressing him on the definition of rigged and he decided to pass me onto his manager.

The manager repeated the statement about rigged rods and said this had just been updated in the latest guide and was a frequently mis understood rule. I asked for the page but the Web site still shows the 2013 version. I've done another search but can't find it online.

At this point I pressed again for the definition of rigged. The guy was real helpful he said look I understand the you all have many rods. We have no problem with extra rods. You can have the reals on them and can even have the line through the eyes.

I asked could we go as far as a snap swivels and he said yes. As long as the bit that catches the fish wasn't connected.

Personally I like quick change terminal tackle and almost always use snap swivels. And have a couple of pre tied rigs at hand.

With this in mind. It only takes a second to clip your rig on.

You stay legal and are prepared for most situations.

Hope this helps

......... SaltWaterDog

Once again, Fisheries don't actually understand the situation they are there to actually manage. I would regularly take at 6 or more rods when fishing alone, and yes they are pre-rigged with hooks or lures attached so assume I am breaking the "law". If the legislators would actually speak with real fisher people they may get a better appreciation. Though I agree, if confronted with an on the spot check by fisheries, just be polite, don't try to hide gear and in my experience they will simply wish you a good day. They are real people trying to crack down on lawbreakers and should be respected for their job - they don't make the rules - only try to interpret and implement them in a practical way. If you have 8 lines in the water, that is stretching it.

How many of us would actually use more than 4 rods each at the same time anyway? I sometimes (rarely) fish 4 if I am alone, but thats usually only when the fish are not biting (and no current is running) so it's pretty rare thankfully. But 5 or more rods would just be a pain.

Having said that I remember a guy down in melbourne at one of the piers who threw out 7 rods 3 either side of my mate and I and one in his hand right between us, thought he owned the place!

Hey linc. I think it's more about carrying the rods. I. E if you have (rigged ie hooks attached)) a live bait rod. Plastics rod. Trolling rod and down rig rod together with a handline regardless of fishing them or not technically your on the wrong side of the rules.

......... SaltWaterDog

Hey linc. I think it's more about carrying the rods. I. E if you have (rigged ie hooks attached)) a live bait rod. Plastics rod. Trolling rod and down rig rod together with a handline regardless of fishing them or not technically your on the wrong side of the rules.

......... SaltWaterDog

Yeah I get that, and I'm also guilty, I always have a rod with a squid jig in the side of the boat, another with a plastic or metal ready to chuck out and a few others at hand to save re rigging if i lose a rig... always thought as long as they were not in the water then it was OK. Will have to rethink this now.

What I meant was, how many people would want to fish more than 4 at the same time? If the law was loosened and allowed us to carry 10 rigged rods, I dont think people would fish more than 4 anyway.

Edited by Linc

Agree completely mate. Unfortunately most rules are there to sort the 1% with no respect for others or our environment.

Not passing any opinions on the rules them selves I was just looking to clarify something that didn't seem crystal.

......... SaltWaterDog

Ok. I couldn't post fully before as at work. I've had a chance to read fragmiester post and have to disagree with some of your post.

the conversation went like this.

I called the fisheries and spoke to a guy who said he thought you could have more than 4 rods but no more than 4 rigged at once though, he sounded hesitant. I tried pressing him on the definition of rigged and he decided to pass me onto his manager.

The manager repeated the statement about rigged rods and said this had just been updated in the latest guide and was a frequently mis understood rule. I asked for the page but the Web site still shows the 2013 version. I've done another search but can't find it online.

At this point I pressed again for the definition of rigged. The guy was real helpful he said look I understand the you all have many rods. We have no problem with extra rods. You can have the reals on them and can even have the line through the eyes.

I asked could we go as far as a snap swivels and he said yes. As long as the bit that catches the fish wasn't connected.

Personally I like quick change terminal tackle and almost always use snap swivels. And have a couple of pre tied rigs at hand.

With this in mind. It only takes a second to clip your rig on.

You stay legal and are prepared for most situations.

Hope this helps

......... SaltWaterDog

OK,

Sounds like fisheries are as uncertain as the rest of us.

I will run with the " bit that catches the fish" as the definition of rigged.

Thanks

Jim