Vanuatu Dogtooth

boattart

Just got back earlier this week from my 6th trip to Vanuatu and I might add one of my most relaxing trips. It was a last minute decision and not specifically a fishing trip but did manage to get a couple of days out. The first week the wind blew 20-25 knots all week so booked into fish Sunday as the weather was forecast to clear from Friday and I intended to take my son who had just turned 11 out with me.

We got to the boat Sunday morning to a light 5-10 knot breeze and the Skipper and crew informed me that the Junior Dogtooth record on 24kg was vacant and they thought we had a shot at catching one so the plan was set. We trolled an area where the day before they had caught 6 Wahoo in the morning but as fish sometime do they decide to swim off elsewhere so after a couple of hours trying we managed to get 2 small mack tuna in the tubes and head in a bit closer. As we were aiming for a record we strapped Hayden into the chair and attached to the 24kg outfit and dropped the first bait over on the downrigger. 15 seconds after dropping the bait it pulled out of the clip and started peeling line and after a short but intense fight his first every Doggie of about 10kg came aboard. The second bait was quickly attached and 3 minutes later he was onto his second smaller fish around 6kg which was released.

A quick troll out and back resulted in 2 more baits in the tubes and again it wasn't long before he was hooked on his 3rd bigger fish which pulled the hook after about 15 minutes. With one bait left he offered me the rod which I declined and told him this was his last chance for a bigger one. The bait was down for quite a while and we were just starting to think the bite was over when line started peeling of the reel quickly. We got the fish out to deeper water then the real slog started. After having the fish almost to the boat it took another dive and the fight started all over again. Half way through I thought Hayden was gone, he wanted to give up but some encouragement from Skipper and crew ( ok maybe dad was being a bit tough on him) and just dropped into low gear and started to gain line. Once he got colour the enthusiasm set in and adrenaline took over. Some careful trace work and a nice gaff shot and a big sigh of relief could be heard for miles as the new Vanuatu Junior Dogtooth record was hauled aboard. At 31.5kg on 24kg line it was a fish that will stay with us both forever.

post-12518-0-86438100-1398984695_thumb.jpg

Edited by boattart

That is epic boattart!!! Way to go young fella.

It is unmeasurable those moments with your children! Thanks for sharing your great story! :)

Hayden- what a great effort and congrats on the record. Not many young men can say they hold a record like that......well done champ!

Cheers scratchie!!!