Further protection for galvanized trailer

benm

I am just wondering if there is any product that you can spray on a galvanized trailer to further protect it from corrosion. For any electrical connections, the first thing I do is put on dielectric grease and it definitely helps protect against corrosion. Wheel bearings etc, keep greased. But for the general galvanized metal, I always see corrosion begin to form especially in the corners or areas where there are welds as this seems to be the place where salt water doesn't get rinsed off properly. Would be good if there was something I could spray in these areas.

I am just wondering if there is any product that you can spray on a galvanized trailer to further protect it from corrosion. For any electrical connections, the first thing I do is put on dielectric grease and it definitely helps protect against corrosion. Wheel bearings etc, keep greased. But for the general galvanized metal, I always see corrosion begin to form especially in the corners or areas where there are welds as this seems to be the place where salt water doesn't get rinsed off properly. Would be good if there was something I could spray in these areas.

Any photo's of what your dealing with?

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Google penetrol.Great stuff.

I'll give this a shot.

my old man sprayed his with fish oil now it looks like crap but it has not rusted cheers gary

fish oil is the go. just talk to your local smash repairs..

Okay, well I won't be using this because once my old man sprayed the bottom of my car with this including behind the fenders and bumper. Shortly afterwards the dog chewed the fenders and bumper thinking it was a giant sardine.

Guest Aussie007

I'll give this a shot.

Okay, well I won't be using this because once my old man sprayed the bottom of my car with this including behind the fenders and bumper. Shortly afterwards the dog chewed the fenders and bumper thinking it was a giant sardine.

lmao good one made me laugh because my old staffy also chewed my mud guards off my car :mfr_lol:

Fish oil will degrade and wash off too quickly. A product called Tectyl is the go. You only have to

do the vulnerable bits which are those that get dipped into the water. Remember the water can

get inside the frame as well.

I sprayed mine with industrial strength lanolin applied with a normal air power spray gun. The dust sticks to it a bit so doesnt look shiny but its still greasy/sticky 6 months later. Water beads off it.

I sprayed mine with industrial strength lanolin applied with a normal air power spray gun. The dust sticks to it a bit so doesnt look shiny but its still greasy/sticky 6 months later. Water beads off it.

Lanolin is the go, I have coated all my trailers with this and never rusted yet

Lanolin is the go, I have coated all my trailers with this and never rusted yet

I coated the trailer for my Trailcraft boat with Lanolin. Unfortunately after some months the galvanising started to show patches of white powder under the Lanoline. It got so bad that there was not a single part of the Trailer that was not affected.

It was obvious that the galvanising was being corroded so I took it back to the dealer and after some investigation the trailer was replaced.

No one had a clue what caused the corrosion, one theory was that the Lanolin was put on without washing the salt from the Trailer but as I had hosed it and let it dry that did not seem to be the cause. I do live in an area very close to the ocean and we get a lot of salt laden mist to the point that we are constantly having to hose the aluminium windows, our cars etc.

I have sprayed Tectyl over my current Trailer and find it to be A1. problem is getting it. Some Repco stores have a limited stock (1 or 2 cans) but will order it in for you.

When you use the cans you may need to clean the nozzles by soaking them in Turps. They clog up very easily which is a right pain.

Cheers

Paikea

the gal coating is sacrificial, it degrades to protect the trailer

if the gal doesnt degrade then your steel will rust

remove the sources of corrosion and your gal will last longer

moisture salt dissimilar metals

ie dont park the boat on the lawn, or under a heavy tarp that makes the enviroment more humid under the trailer