BOTANY BAY KING AND FLATHEAD

Guest stephanb79

Guest stephanb79
Hey guys
Got to botany bay ramp at 4am Saturday morning and we went over to get our lives and got about 10 yakkas and then wanted to go and get some squid so we went over to bar island and try our luck and tried and tried but no luck !!!

So off we went it was my first time in my boat so I wanted to go out just out side of south head and I drop our yakkas and tolled up and down and about an hour latter bang my rod just bent over and the kingy was on !!!
after 15 mins got I the bugger up!! It was the first one ive got in my own boat 75cm .
so I droped another yakka and trolled the same spots hit heaps of bait fish and nothing so about 45min I brought up my lines and I wonder why I was getting anything the bloody line were tangled dam I had to cut both lines so I didnt bother Anymore need to invest in a downrigger.
so I headed back in and headed over to watts reef but no luck, then I went over to Brighton to find so flathead and tried my luck to get some for the kids so after about 15 mins of drifting my rod bent over and it was like I was snagged then the rod was shaken and I knew it was what I was looking for but as soon as I seen this girl come up my eyes popped out wow the biggest girl ive caught 79cm got some quick pics and sent her off her way again and hopefully fight another day .
After that I called it a day and it was a great day

post-30574-0-17327300-1400494189_thumb.jpg

post-30574-0-12304700-1400494198_thumb.jpeg

post-30574-0-06002100-1400494208_thumb.jpeg

Very well done, you did well to troll up a king on your first attempt, I'm still learning the art of slow trolling for kings, only got mauled by tailor on my last attempt

Guest stephanb79

Very well done, you did well to troll up a king on your first attempt, I'm still learning the art of slow trolling for kings, only got mauled by tailor on my last attempt

What rig do you use ???

What rig do you use ???

I've been working a running paternoster and a regular paternoster. last time I had 12 oz of lead on one and it seemed to be staying close to the bottom. How much lead should one use for a poor man's downrigger?

Guest Aussie007

well done on both fish stephan, my mate was out there same location didnt catch anything lol

Guest stephanb79

thanks guys hopefully just cant wait to get back out there again and give it another crack

Guest stephanb79

Thanks guys hope to get out there next weekend and give it an other crack hopefully with my new Downrigger