Wine and salmon on the rocks!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Firstly, I must say that I don't condone drinking alcohol and fishing off the rocks. Now to my story...

My wife and I have spent a stressful week looking for houses in the area and yesterday arvo finally got approved for the house of our dreams!

This is my new front yard......

post-24974-0-12343800-1400824088_thumb.jpg

So this morning, we started the pack up and made some progress. With all the kids at school I thought it would be nice to surprise the mrs and pack some cheese and biscuits, go for a drive to our new home/area and walk out to the rocks and have a picnic. The wife was overwhelmed at my idea until as I unloaded the car, she seen the rod and bucket coming with me. She says, "I knew you couldn't help yourself". But she knows me well and I could never be that close to the water without wetting a line. Although I resisted until we had lunch that I prepared and a small glass of wine.

post-24974-0-64787800-1400824604_thumb.jpg

But after that, I had two rods set up, one with a float and ganged hook with pilly and the other was a metal halco that I was spinning.

Not much action at first but then I seen a few nibbles and down went the float and up comes a really large slimey. Hmmmm, oh well bugger it. On it goes live on a gang hook and out she went. After 5 mins I could see random flashes around my float and I was a bit perplexed. Next minute zzzzzz, to my disbelief I'm on. I set the hook and see this thing jump out and spit my livie. I thought I dropped it but the hooks were well and truly set and the fight began. With no net and an inconsistent swell, I had to use all my experience and I came up trumps. A nice healthy 70cm sambo. After one look at the wife, it was the fishes lucky day and after a quick pic it was back to the water for this girl.

post-24974-0-44247300-1400825870_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-77398600-1400825967_thumb.jpg

Well, the wife was sorta impressed but I was ecstatic with my new found back yard!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Congratulations! ! Cracker salmon! Oh and yeah..the house and view are OK too :P

But seriously that's some view you've got to wake up to mate enjoy the move!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cheers guys! It's an awesome place. It's in boat harbour, port stephens! I have 180deg view from my lounge room, so the whale migration will be awesome to watch. Ohhhhhhh I want to be in there already. A 100m walk to a great fishing spot is exciting!

Life is good!!!!

I think this constitutes cyber bullying, rubbing it in like that ;)

Nice spot and nice catch. Enjoy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know...... Sorry but I'm very excited. But it changes my fishing time from 3 minutes to 1 minute. A no brainer really!!!

Bit of info Scratchie: A 'slimey' is a mackerel right? It was LARGE? How large? You put it back on the hook as live bait? That must have been a hell of a BIG bait!

Yes slimey mackerel scad, I think they call them.

It was about 30cm and quite fat.

Yes, it was difficult to put on a gang hook but I used the top hook through the nose and bottom hook as far as I could without upsetting the fishes ability to swim. As far a big baits go, no not really. I've used a 4kg bonito chasing kings and a 50cm+ tailor chasing jewy!

Wow. I'm learning all the time! This website is the best thing I've found in ages. Your post reminds me of the time I spent all day surfishing on the west coast of Victoria trying to catch salmon with whitebait, squid etc, when I suddenly got a huge whack. Finally landed a beautiful gummy shark and found a small salmon going round and around further up the line. Realised I'd caught the small salmon in big surf without knowing and the shark took that. He'd never have touched my dead baits.

Wow. I'm learning all the time! This website is the best thing I've found in ages. Your post reminds me of the time I spent all day surfishing on the west coast of Victoria trying to catch salmon with whitebait, squid etc, when I suddenly got a huge whack. Finally landed a beautiful gummy shark and found a small salmon going round and around further up the line. Realised I'd caught the small salmon in big surf without knowing and the shark took that. He'd never have touched my dead baits.

It is the best fishing website you'll ever find. It has improved my fishing ten thousands times. There's some very knowledgable fishos on here that are only to happy to share.

Glad you found us and look forward to your posts!

Cheers scratchie!!!