What is the best 4-6lb Braid line?

foolforjesus

Hi Raiders,

The time has come once again to re-spool my freshwater 2000 size spin reels with some new Braid line.

Having used several brands of Braid line in the past, I am still unsure of which brand to get.

I have used the following:

1/. Daiwa TD Sensor 4lb - I found this to be good line, nice low diameter, but had some right old wind knots. Remember saying I'm not buying this stuff again.

2/. Fins Windtamer - I found this to be ok line, but the diameter was a bit thick in 6lb.

3/. Powerpro Depth Hunter - I found this to be ok line, but the strands were a bit loosely wrapped and the diameter is a bit thick in 5lb.

4/. Berkley fireline/Crystal - I have used this line the most, its fairly cheap, a bit stiff at first but softens up after a while.

I have been looking more and more into Japanese brands, such as Varivas, however are they really worth the price tag.

I'm thinking of sticking with Berkley, as I know how it fishes, which imo after its supples up isn't too bad.

Any thoughts or info would be hugely appreciated.

The low diameter line is a huge advantage for me as I fish virtually un-weighted plastics, so something in 0.13mm to 0.15mm / 4-6lb bracket is perfect.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

Varivas is worth every cent in PE 8 & 10. But for light stuff up to 14lb, I will only use fireline. As you said, after its "run in" it is brilliant. I had to put the brakes on a good jew the other night before it busted me. 14lb fireline locked up with a fist full of spool and it didn't pop, would have come awefully close to popping the 25lb leader though. result was a 112cm fish at my feet which i really shouldn't have landed

If you have used something in the past, have liked it and most importantly, trust it, then don't change.

Hi OutdoorDan,

Good work on a great Jew!

Yes that's good advice! As much as I'd like to upgrade my line to something that costs more (sounds silly as I'm writing this, wanting to spend more than is necessary), Fireline is pretty good once it's run in.

Cheers, Chris

Varivas is worth every cent in PE 8 & 10. But for light stuff up to 14lb, I will only use fireline. As you said, after its "run in" it is brilliant. I had to put the brakes on a good jew the other night before it busted me. 14lb fireline locked up with a fist full of spool and it didn't pop, would have come awefully close to popping the 25lb leader though. result was a 112cm fish at my feet which i really shouldn't have landed

If you have used something in the past, have liked it and most importantly, trust it, then don't change.

Edited by foolforjesus

Hi mate I also use berkley fireline up to 10lb and never had a problem with it........my 2500 sol is due also so im keen to think of what people recommend. The "paulus just fishing" website shows 4lb test breaking strain at a lot higher than 4lb

yeah thats the site. have you ever sent braid to him lungfai??

heh I was going to send him a length of the braid my cousin from Vietnam sent me to use but when i cut it up it turned out to be everyday sewing thread :D

The Godkids got their 5 dollar fishing combo spooled with the stuff :banana:

Edit : Ohh and my braid of choice has been Sufix 832, nice casting, strength is so so and is nice and thin.

Edited by LungFai

Hey mate, I recently converted to Sunline Castaway. Its a great thin and very smooth braid which comes in a cool sky blue colour. Its IGFA so it breaks below stated therefore I use the 10lb for my bream which is thinner than most 4 lb braids being only pe0.6. From memory its as thin as 3 lb power pro. An btw don't think power pro comes in 6 lb... only 5 and 8.

Edited by Mr. Fish

Hi Mr Fish,

Yes I think your right on the Power Pro, it was 5lb!

I'll amend that now.

That Castaway line sounds good, I was looking into it today actually.

Cheers, Chris

Hey mate, I recently converted to Sunline Castaway. Its a great thin and very smooth braid which comes in a cool sky blue colour. Its IGFA so it breaks below stated therefore I use the 10lb for my bream which is thinner than most 4 lb braids being only pe0.6. From memory its as thin as 3 lb power pro. An btw don't think power pro comes in 6 lb... only 5 and 8.

Edited by foolforjesus

Had sunline super pe 6lb, nice n thin and tough as nails, very confidence inspiring braid. Have recently put fireline tournament exceed 4.4lb on my 1000 stick and am loving it, you're right about it needing to supple up but after that it's awesome. Swordfisherman etc told me the same thing and glad I followed the advice. Going to grab some more soon for my spare spool, and I think either sunline castaway or fireline in the 14lb will be my next for a new setup :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Just bought some Berkeley Tournament Exceed braid , yet to be spooled or used, they are currently 20% off at bcf.

Hi rumz,

I actually read on a review website that Fireline Exceed is designed for bait caster reels due to the way it lays on the reel.

That is where they designed Nanofil purely for Spin reels.

I actually saw the discount at the moment and was keen to get it till I read that info.

Edited by foolforjesus

Berkeley make a good light line that impressed me. It was called nanofil. I have it in 6lb and haven't had an issue with it yet. :)

Hi Trout Stalker,

I was reading up on Nanofil line yesterday. It does sound good.

The only thing that put me off a bit was the knot strength.

I also read quite a few reviews saying it isn't very abrasion resistant either.

Had sunline super pe 6lb, nice n thin and tough as nails, very confidence inspiring braid. Have recently put fireline tournament exceed 4.4lb on my 1000 stick and am loving it, you're right about it needing to supple up but after that it's awesome. Swordfisherman etc told me the same thing and glad I followed the advice. Going to grab some more soon for my spare spool, and I think either sunline castaway or fireline in the 14lb will be my next for a new setup :)

Hi Witha,

Did you put the Exceed on a spin reel? Do you find it cuts into itself?

That's what Berkely say in the technical info on the line.

The Sunline Super PE line sounds pretty good, it seems to be good from everything I've heard about it.

I think I'm either gonna stick with run of the mill Fireline or give the Super PE a try.

Cheers!

Edited by foolforjesus

I must say, after reading up on Fireline Tournament Exceed on the Berkley website, I can't see anything in the Speil that says it's designed only for overhead reels.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Cheers, Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

Yeah hasn't really been an issue mate, line management is important with any line, and I don't think I can recall having an issue with it :)

Hi Trout Stalker,

I was reading up on Nanofil line yesterday. It does sound good.

The only thing that put me off a bit was the knot strength.

I also read quite a few reviews saying it isn't very abrasion resistant either.

Hi Chris, the knot strength on Nanofil is fine, I haven't had an issue with it yet tying it onto my leader and one time when I did get it snagged in deep water with a steely on it took quite a bit to snap it off. It is a good line and casts a mile. As for abraision strength I haven't had it rub on rocks yet but to be honest and 6lb braid will not fare well in that situation unless it is cheap chinese stuff that has a 6lb diameter equivalent to 50lb decent braid hehe.

I also have to add that I have used sunline super PE and Sunline Castawy. They both are also top quality braid. Castaway is expensive but very thin. It is IFGA rated so it breaks around its proper strain but I have caught bream on it with a 10lb line to give you an idea on how thin it is.

Luc.

Hi Chris, the knot strength on Nanofil is fine, I haven't had an issue with it yet tying it onto my leader and one time when I did get it snagged in deep water with a steely on it took quite a bit to snap it off. It is a good line and casts a mile. As for abraision strength I haven't had it rub on rocks yet but to be honest and 6lb braid will not fare well in that situation unless it is cheap chinese stuff that has a 6lb diameter equivalent to 50lb decent braid hehe.

I also have to add that I have used sunline super PE and Sunline Castawy. They both are also top quality braid. Castaway is expensive but very thin. It is IFGA rated so it breaks around its proper strain but I have caught bream on it with a 10lb line to give you an idea on how thin it is.

Luc.

Hi Luc,

Ok great, cheers for the update!

I'm using a Nanofil 4lb line on my pen rod and have no issue catching breams (35cm), flathead (60cm) or mullet (30cm). They have good knot strength but due to their lower abrasion resistance (but not too bad) you need to take your time doing knots properly and lubricate the knot before tightening it. I use a Uni knot on the hook and a enhanced Albright knot for Nanofil to mono/fluoro line or leader.

It works great with unweighted lines.

Edited by quochuy

Hi quochuy,

Thanks for the info.

I may try the Nanofil at another date, but for now I've decided to stick with the tried & tested Fireline.

I actually got some exceed as well to try.

My main reason for sticking with a stiffer line is simply down to fishing in windy conditions.

A supple PE braid in my mind I s asking for trouble in windy conditions.

That said, I'm sure in calm conditions it's a dream to use.

Cheers everyone,

Chris

Edited by foolforjesus