Etec Fuel Pump Cracked

Whitto

My 60hp Etec is in for repairs ... :mad3:

The petrol pump is cracked ... 2 weeks old and less than 10 hours :ranting2:

The part is not available in Australia just yet ... hopefully they will steal one from somewhere.

I am very happy with the motor, just disappointed that this has happened.

I am also glad that I found the leak while ashore.

There will be more bugs to iron out, as they are only new to scene.

Lets hope they can all be rectified, and the ETEC doesnt travel down the same road as the FICHT.

I'll stick with the ever reliable Yammy for now...

Chris

Edited by Aero

Geez dont go too far south on the ETEC's based on one problem. I did a huge amount of research on these motors before purchasing one and they have a solid proven track record in the states and still a top class motor.

Dont forget that all things mechanical will have problems from time to time. Even the mighty Yamaha's have problems every now and again but are quickly forgiven based on their track record. A cracked fuel pump housing on a Yammie wouldnt even rate a mention.

To the best of my knowledge and research there are no known faults with these motors, just some isolated bits and pieces like with any other motor.

Please dont compare these motors with the Ficht motor, your comparing apples and oranges.

All new technology goes through a rough trot to start with but its my opinion that these bugs have already been ironed out.

Hope you get back on the water ASAP Whitto :biggrin2:

The story so far ...

The dealer's first question was "Did you buy it from us?"

No, I bought it from elsewhere ... I drove 6 hours round trip and saved myself $2,000.

"You will have to wait till next week, we will call you ... "

Next week .... in she goes ... "There are no parts in Aust for this motor yet ... we will call you next week ... "

The boat has been there for 1 week ...

Now I am getting upset ...

I found the Evinrude spare parts dep. on the net ... :1naughty:

This story about the parts not being available in Australia yet is a crock 'cause the same fuel lift pump ... part number 5005462 . also fits the 40/50/75/90 Etec ... and they have been in Australia for 2 years :ranting2:

This part fits LOTS of other motors too :ranting2::ranting2:

With this info I called the dealer and was told the parts were due in tomorrow and would be fitted ASAP.

Seems like I was just waiting for the dealer to be ready to do my job ...

If only I had bought the motor from him in the first place it would have been fixed by now :wacko:

No good mate, hope the part gets to you soon. All motors have their probs but since my neighbour bought a new evinrude 2 years ago and the boat has been off the water 6 months in that time I personally don't trust them. Getting it fixed hasn't been his prob, just the parts needed both times it broke down took 3 months to arrive from the states.

Fuel pump is fixed

BUT ... they damaged the lower plastic cowling when replacing it and the new one will be here in 6 to 8 weeks

I wonder if that's true ... :glare:

The fuel leak has somehow cost me 20 litres of fuel from the underfloor tank ... at $1.39 ... I should get a lock for that!

AND my trailer has been damaged by a forklift while at the dealer ... I can still use it ... so that makes it alright doesn't it :mad3:

Maybe I did some stuff in a previous life that's now commin' back to haunt me.

I need an asprin ... and a good lie down ... :insane:

Guest bluecod
Fuel pump is fixed

BUT ... they damaged the lower plastic cowling when replacing it and the new one will be here in 6 to 8 weeks 

I wonder if that's true ...  :glare:

The fuel leak has somehow cost me 20 litres of fuel from the underfloor tank ... at $1.39  ... I should get a lock for that!

AND my trailer has been damaged by a forklift while at the dealer ... I can still use it ... so that makes it alright doesn't it    :mad3:

Maybe I did some stuff in a previous life that's now commin' back to haunt me.

I need an asprin ... and a good lie down ...  :insane:

66002[/snapback]

Whitto - not good :thumbdown: remind me never to take my boat to that place.

yes where was service done that is absolutly appauling service who cares if u didnt buy it from him iam sure etec would like to know how there distributers treat etec customers id be giving that guy some stick :ranting2: & not very good for futuere etec owners .1 thing i hate is crap service when ever i get treat ment like this i never go back id rather pay more than line there pockets :mad3: hope all goes well mate

From the contacts so far it seems that a lot of people already know how bad the service at this dealer is ... :thumbdown:

BUT...I can't name the dealer here ... Ken A doesn't need the issues that may arise.

Anyone interested can contact me for further details.

On a positive note ... One thing this does is make me appreciate the efforts of good dealers like Yabbie Marine ... :thumbup:

I CAN say that :074:

I have had a response from BRP and the owner of the dealership on this.

They have explained that the fuel leak could not be traced and it was decided to remove the entire pump and all attatched hoses. This was replaced by the same assembly from another Etec.

The work was carried out by a mechanic from BRP (who removed/delivered the new part) and a mechanic from the dealer. It was the BRP mechanic who cracked my engine cover ... they are waiting on the part and the dealer is going to contact me when it arrives.

The damage to my trailer will be repaired by the dealer ... apparently this has happened to other trailers in their yard.

One thing that I haven't mentioned before ...'cause it was highly embarrassing and quite possibly illegal ...

I was told to sign a document before I was allowed to take my boat ... except for the place to sign, it was covered up by the service manager ... I was not allowed to read this document (although I did ask to) ... I was told that it was warranty stuff and "just sign it if you want your boat."

What choice did I have ...

The owner of the dealership assured me that this will no longer happen and a copy of this document is now being sent to me.

I may go fishing tomorrow and try to put this mess behind me. :wacko:

I was told to sign a document before I was allowed to take my boat ... except for the place to sign, it was covered up by the service manager ... I was not allowed to read this document (although I did ask to) ... I was told that it was warranty stuff and  "just sign it if you want your boat."

66799[/snapback]

I ain't no legal practitioner, but I would hazzard a guess and say that you were made to sign the document under duress! Very un-professional in my opinion, and there is no way that I would have signed until I knew EXACTLY what was on there.

As far as with-holding the boat from you, that is also highly questionable. If it were a matter of un-paid monies it would be different. But as it was a matter of warranty, they had no reason imaginable to hold your boat! :1yikes::1yikes:

I'm sure both the BIA and DOFT would love to have a conversation with you! :biggrin2:

Whitto,

That last bit is unconscionable of the dealer and I certainly would not take his word he is going to change his foul practise. If not him, who put the practise into place in the first instance???

Sounds like a job for Dept. of Fair Trading, methinks :1badmood:

I ain't no legal practitioner, but I would hazzard a guess and say that you were made to sign the document under duress!

66802[/snapback]

That was my opinion at the time Joe.

I wasn't happy about it ... or proud of it ... I really had no choice.

The manufacturer (BRP Australia) is aware of these events and are horrified by it's authorised dealer's actions.

Have no doubt that this is NOT over and done with ... yet.

Sounds like a fun time.

If its like any other manufacturer they need a signature up front on the repair order to validate the dealers claim. Without it the claim can be denied and the dealer can be left with the bill.

Sounds like they tried to get it after the fact and didnt want to look incompetent by not getting it up front.

Insted they chose to just look dodgy and suspicious by not telling you this.Poor from. There is no other reason they need a signature from you for a warranty repair that I can see.

Good on you for not naming names, I hate that sort of thing when there is only one side of the story. Not having businesses bagged is a great thing on this site, even if they are crap.

Glad you got it fixed :biggrin2:

I now have a copy of the paperwork I signed and it was a delivery docket to say I had picked up the boat.

No big deal after all.

As the owner of the dealership told me it was all a big misunderstanding ... aparently the parts manager thought it was a funny thing to do .... at the time.

So, now I just wait for the replacement engine cover to arrive and for the repairs to my trailer to happen ... I also got a VIP membership in the mail so I can save 15% on everything I buy at the sale that starts next week.

So say hello ... if you see me there .... :devil:

... aparently the parts manager thought it was a funny thing to do ....

67271[/snapback]

I punched a guy through his window when he cut me of in traffic and nearly killed us all! That was a funny thing to do too!!!! :mad3::mad3: