Dave Irvine Snapper Classic

dt27

G'day Raiders,

Spent 4 days up at Coffs competing in the Dave Irvine Memorial Classic.

Weather was pretty good for few days with my mate Jarrod pulling in some great reds up to 79cm on the Thursday.

Saturday was competition day and it turned ugly with 25 knots from the south and seas getting bigger all day.

We went 14 miles north after finding the reds on the Thursday and left them on Friday looking for other spots. Saturday morning we hit a patch up bait that produced 5 cracking reds and a bust off in 12-15 metres of water.

We landed 7 reds on Saturday and with Sunday cancelled took out third prize as a team.

My 88cm Red won the biggest fish (and probably ugliest head!) and I was honoured to win the first place angler with 5 fish including the 88cm and an 80cm fish during the hot bite.

Was great to fish the Dave Irvine, being a lure only comp and focussing on snapper only really lets you focus on one technique and takes out the thoughts of what else we should be chasing. I hear Dave was a champion bloke who put in a great deal of time into the sport, Its an honour to win some awards in his name.

Best lure was a Squidgy whipbait in white lightening, fished with 20lb and 20lb leader.

Big thanks to my fishing teammate Jarrod who managed to pull in two sea anchors, his line and drive off and chase to two big reds then land them in Dave's designed environet.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers

Dom

post-3900-0-10478500-1402368145_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-68505100-1402368158_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-17309000-1402368246_thumb.jpg

As you said, one big red to another! Cracking fish mate and a well deserved first place. I know how much you were looking forward to that comp and to take it out wow!!! What a great effort! Let's see how you go on the snapper next time your up this way!

Catch ya soon :)

Cheers scratchie!!!