Trailer length reduction

Don_

Hi all,

My mates got a bit of a problem. He stores his boat on the street outside his place, and a few numbers have been kicking up a stink lately. He received a letter saying his boat is too long to be kept on his street - the total length at the moment is 7.8m, but needs to be below 7.5m in his area.

My question is what options does he have to reduce the overall length (in terms of trailer modifications, or anything really)? They've given him until the end of the week to sort something out so he's really stressing about it.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Fab has probably the easiest way out as long as the bow of the boat is sitting back 30cm from the end of the trailer (Mine is not) Then if you mate does have 30cm spare at the front can he move the boat forward? what is total length of boat & motor? if it totals more then 7.5 he is well out of luck!

Maybe a Swng away draw bar if the boat is not all the way forward & can not go forward any more.

Had this chat before with a mate who now puts the boat on the front lawn, I am so glad I chose a house to fit the boat and a couple of cars!

Just make sure if you move it back/modify its done right , No bogy jobs remember what your towing and insurance as well.One more thing I think if it is registered it ok to keep on the street.

Edited by chocolate

any vehicle longer than 7.5m is only supposed to be in a suburban street for a period of one hour. the idea is for truck drivers to be able to stop for a meal but not stay there. its mostly a noise issue and not wanting heavy vehicles destroying suburban roads so very unlucky the neighbours are sooking about it. hinged drawbar is the go.

Thanks heaps for the responses guys. He's weighing up his options now. I'll let you all know how he goes.

The neighbour has been complaining lately because it takes up a car space on the street which he thinks is unfair on the community (even though he doesn't have any car on the street). But he's got no choice but to do something about it now.

As far as the neighbour is concerned, the roads are owned (paid for) by the rate-payers of which your mate is one. Is it possible for him to park it partially on the nature strip - also supposedly owned by the council (i.e. rate payers) and also maintained by the ratepayer - at an angle so there is less than 7.5m of the trailer actually on the road?

Just a thought, Steve

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9

Some people have too much time on their hands. If it's registered ( the trailer), I thought you could park on the street, and there was nothing anyone could do. Looks like I'm wrong.

So if you hook the trailer up, and there is no parking at the ramp, are you allowed to park on the Street for the day, considering the total length of vehicle and trailer will exceed 7 metres?

I'm going to look this up.

There was a thread on here some time ago about people getting booked parking on the road with their trailer attached after launching their boat.

Apparently the maximum length of time a vehicle over 7.5m can be legally parked on a road is 1 hour.

Realistically that means any ramp without a parking area is an ornament.

Edited by welst

its to stop people leaving heavy vehicles parked out the front of their homes, read semis b doubles etc

park on the nature strip and you will get booked for illegally parking as well, sister in law got fined for parking her car on there

its to stop people leaving heavy vehicles parked out the front of their homes, read semis b doubles etc

park on the nature strip and you will get booked for illegally parking as well, sister in law got fined for parking her car on there

Exactly, alot of residents everywhere don't even know the "council strip" belongs to the council and if you park your car/trailer/boat or leave anything on there which can cause a danger to the public, you will at best get asked to remove them or get a fine.

Especially if some whinger on your street has put in a complaint, the Council must act and send out a Ranger.

My father inlaws a Ranger here where I live for the last 25years.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk