Pumping enough water?

antonywardle

Hi

Is my outboard pumping enough water and is it coming out int he right places?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0nWA9t-ui4

Its a 94 Evinrude 120HP Looper

I finally got out on the water last weekend but I couldn't get it to go

faster than an idle, it would bog down and then stop. You can hear the

engine surging a bit int he above video.

I thought it might be fuel tank related so I swapped to my portable

plastic tank, but the engine stopped and I couldn't get it going

again, so I had to anchor up while I got my little auxillary engine running

then I went back to shore and went home.

When I got home, I started it, no worries and then flushed the engine. Maybe

I flooded it ?

Thanks

that's what I was thinking, although I saw another outboard, same model and

it didn't have a big stream either.

It doesn't get very hot, the engine that is, so there was also the thought that

the thermostats had been removed.

sounds like its dropping a cylinder maybe check the plugs and compression? also when where the carbys cleaned last? if u have ran old fuel though it chances are its gonna contain water in it and whatever else .... my suggestion would be to pull apart the carbys clean them up run new plugs and new fuel process of illimination really

the tell tale seems really weak. I'd be very cautious if your thermostat has been removed.

my alarm would go if I attempt to flush with my ear muffs slightly off-centre.

may try poor warm water down the manual flush hose to try clear it out.

I used a gurney once to clear out my cooling system after going for a spin through the george river

Carbs have been rebuild

Fuel is new

Compression is excellent on all cylinders

plugs are new

I was wondering if maybe there is a small air leak

or maybe the inline filter needs a clean. Its running on 50-1 premix

from a stainless tank that looked pretty clean inside before I hooked it up

Maybe back to the shop for another look.

Guest Aussie007

i once owned the same engine and i think it was huey who told me it had a low pressure high volume system or something along those lines been a few years now so can barely remember, as i had a slow tell tale too so it wasnt pissing out like a new engine but was normal

Edited by gazza

Guest Aussie007

Thanks gazza.

Certainly on the youtubes of the same engine, at idle

they don't have a big pee stream. The little 15hp yamaha

that I have really pumps it out, but not this one.

yeah it varies from manufacturer some are strong some are week so its kind of hard to tell

u might need to stuck a bucket under your engine instead of using the muffs or take it down to the river and test it there and stick a small paper clip into the pee hole while the engine is running to flush the crap out

heres my old engine running on the muffs and in the water and it was a normal stream at the time i too thought i needed a new water pump, sorry for the low quality video but u should get an idea on how much yours should pump

th_MVI_0521.jpg

th_MVI_0524.jpg

Ok

Went out this weekend to have another go. Got the engine going, it was a little smokey, then went to put it in to gear

and it dies, so started the little yamaha, then started the Evinrude again got it in to gear and managed to cruise out at

9km/h. Put the throttle down and it would go up to about 14km/h before bogging down and if I don't pull the throttle back,

it would stop.

Eventually I put the anchor out and did a bit of fishing. Then after a few hours I started the engine, let it run for a bit on fast idle

I got it in to gear then put the throttle wide open, and got it up to 58km/h/ It started surging again, and I reduced the throttle

and it seemed to sit on 28km/h quite comfortably. If you watch the youtube, you can hear the engine speeding up and slowing

down like someone is on the throttle, but it wasn't being touched. There was fuel in the filter the whole time, and I thought that

the pee stream was pretty reasonable.

As you can see, it was a rubbish day to be out on the water ;-) My wife was surprised that I was there for eight hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Gxtq5908g

Apologies for the wind noise. Later when I was running it at home, I had the hood off, and thought I could hear

a ticking sound in the VRO unit, and when I put my hand on it, I could feel it too. Fuel pump maybe?

Edited by antonywardle

Ok

Went out this weekend to have another go. Got the engine going, it was a little smokey, then went to put it in to gear

and it dies, so started the little yamaha, then started the Evinrude again got it in to gear and managed to cruise out at

9km/h. Put the throttle down and it would go up to about 14km/h before bogging down and if I don't pull the throttle back,

it would stop.

Eventually I put the anchor out and did a bit of fishing. Then after a few hours I started the engine, let it run for a bit on fast idle

I got it in to gear then put the throttle wide open, and got it up to 58km/h/ It started surging again, and I reduced the throttle

and it seemed to sit on 28km/h quite comfortably. If you watch the youtube, you can hear the engine speeding up and slowing

down like someone is on the throttle, but it wasn't being touched. There was fuel in the filter the whole time, and I thought that

the pee stream was pretty reasonable.

As you can see, it was a rubbish day to be out on the water ;-) My wife was surprised that I was there for eight hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Gxtq5908g

Apologies for the wind noise. Later when I was running it at home, I had the hood off, and thought I could hear

a ticking sound in the VRO unit, and when I put my hand on it, I could feel it too. Fuel pump maybe?

Im not familiar with those engines but bogging down when applying throttle and stalling at idle is normally caused by these things:

Fouled plugs.

Incorrect plug gap.

Arcing/cracked porcelain.

Worn/arcing Ht leads.

Weak ignition coil/s.

Rumptured/worn fuel pump.

Blocked/incorrectly adjusted carby/s.

Incorrect ignition timing.

Poor fuel quality.

Low compression.

These are just some of the things I can think of right now.

This is what I would do:

Compression test-a difference no more than between 7% and 10% between cylinders is classed as acceptable.

Spark plugs-check your spark plugs have the correct gap, heat range for your engine.

Spark plugs these days normally come from the factory pre-gapped correctly which often isn't the case. (Always check your gaps.)

Ht leads- Check for loose terminals, worn boots, signs of tracking on insulation, cuts, nicks and with a multimeter check their resistance, continuity, there should be some.

Coil/s-check there continuity, resistance as above.

Timing-Check also.

Having said all that ,you need the gear to do these things.

But I'll bet my left testicle that your issue is perhaps due to a faulty ht lead/s or an ignition coil going on what you,ve described and done without seeing your engine myself.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Guest Aussie007

u can use a cheap $25 multimeter from any electrical store along with a work shop manual u can download online for about $10 it'll walk u thru everything electrical to test

or u can just take the engine to huey and he'll fix it (easier option)

• 5 weeks later...

Got the boat back yesterday

The main problem seems to have been a stuck choke causing a lot of unburnt fuel

and water in the carbs. I now have a water filter in the fuel line and the engine is running pretty

well. I'll take it out on the water this weekend and report back.

Fab1, you might now be short a left testicle!

But your advice was great thanks.

Got the boat back yesterday

The main problem seems to have been a stuck choke causing a lot of unburnt fuel

and water in the carbs. I now have a water filter in the fuel line and the engine is running pretty

well. I'll take it out on the water this weekend and report back.

Fab1, you might now be short a left testicle!

But your advice was great thanks.

Good luck with it, hopefully all goes well on the water for you.

Cheers.

Update:

Well Fab1 I might have grab your left testicle a little early.

I had a few dramas on the boat ramp, but eventually got out.

Put the throttle down and it started playing up again. I eased it off

and after a warm up and a bit of adjustment, i could putt around at about 20km/h

Better than before but not what I wanted. I went for a big cruise around Brisbane waters

feeling a bit despondent about it all. I then decided to anchor up and throw a line in, and I caught a

little squid. My first one. Didn't get any ink on me and released it.

On a whim, I decided to swap to a different fuel tank, and the boat still wouldn't go flat

out but it did cruise along nicely at about 40km/h, so this got me thinking that I might have

a blocked pick up in the tank. the second tank is an old plastic one I've had for a while so

maybe its also got a blockage. I haven't pulled them out to check yet.

I got back home and was washing down the boat and took the engine cover off.

I then noticed that there was some fuel floating underneath the engine. Seems to be dripping out

from the carbs. I haven't pulled anything off yet because of work but I'm think that my issues

are fuel related.

cheers

Update:

Well Fab1 I might have grab your left testicle a little early.

I had a few dramas on the boat ramp, but eventually got out.

Put the throttle down and it started playing up again. I eased it off

and after a warm up and a bit of adjustment, i could putt around at about 20km/h

Better than before but not what I wanted. I went for a big cruise around Brisbane waters

feeling a bit despondent about it all. I then decided to anchor up and throw a line in, and I caught a

little squid. My first one. Didn't get any ink on me and released it.

On a whim, I decided to swap to a different fuel tank, and the boat still wouldn't go flat

out but it did cruise along nicely at about 40km/h, so this got me thinking that I might have

a blocked pick up in the tank. the second tank is an old plastic one I've had for a while so

maybe its also got a blockage. I haven't pulled them out to check yet.

I got back home and was washing down the boat and took the engine cover off.

I then noticed that there was some fuel floating underneath the engine. Seems to be dripping out

from the carbs. I haven't pulled anything off yet because of work but I'm think that my issues

are fuel related.

cheers

I bet my right testicle that you have debris in the needle and seat, and/or haven't set the float height correctly.

Please be this as I will be out of testicles to bet.

Good Luck.

Well the carbs have been rebuilt so maybe we need to update your name to the Unich ?

Not sure about the leak yet, as I haven't takent he cover off.

I know that, but just because they were rebuilt doesn,t mean that mistakes were not made or debris got into the needle and seat preventing the needle from shuting of the flow of fuel.

We all make mistakes, heck I've made a few over the years, the trick is avoiding making the same ones twice.

• 2 months later...

Ok,

the saga continues

Engine runs fine at home on the earmuffs. It idles really well and I can put it in to gear and rev it out.

When I get in to the water, it gets hard to start, doesn't idle and then when i get it running was very sluggish getting up to
WOT and then it dies.

I'm getting a bit despondent about it. I think that the engine is probably pretty reasonable and that it just a small problem somewhere but I don't know what to do.

I found a fuel line wasn't as tight as it could have been, so I fixed that.

When I'm in the water:

it sits quite low at the back.

Water can wash over the transom and the see through filter can get wet. Maybe a lead letting water in?

The exhaust is in the water so maybe this stops it from running?

Its not reliable under load so maybe an electrical item breaking down?

When I get home, I put the ear muffs on and the engine runs pretty well and thats the really annoying thing,

why does it run well at home and rubbish in the water?

It sounds like a cylinder or more are sometimes not firing in the clips you posted. What do the spark plugs look like when you take them out? Are they brown, black, wet , dry, moisture?

The only thing I can think of at idle, that's different in the water to being on ear muffs is possibly a better water flow through the engine. Could be going somewhere it shouldn't be, but you should just take it to Huett Marine to sort it out for you. Looking at your location they are not that far from you either.