grapnel anchor

tassjo

Could some one explain to me what is the benefit of a grapnel anchor over other types ,what type of seabed would you use a grapnel anchor on.

I am in need of a new anchor for gravel/sand seabed,boat is 6m

thanks tass

the anchor in the link is mainly used for very small tinnys and kayaks it wont hold most boats it is a sand anchor and can be used in mud, gravel and see grass but for rocks and reef you will need a reef anchor that will bend allowing you to retreive it there are also anchors called sarca that do all because a reef anchor wont work in sand and a sand anchor wont work on reef

cheers sydneyfisher12

thanks for the reply, the link was a reference , I have seen large version of this type of anchor.I have a reef anchor but lost my last sand anchor, so was looking at alternative styles and yes have looked at sarca only problem is I would need to change the bowsprit for the sarca

thanks tass

The grapnal is the one that looks like a grappling hook.

I'd guess it would do better with rocks than sand

Maybe go for a danforth. The important bit is the chain

I think the rule of thumb is that the chain should be as long as your boat as a min

cheers

antony

I have always thought that a grapnel anchor is the type that has round steel bars placed through a section of pipe with the ends of the steel bars bent over. Commonly known as a reef anchor.

If you get stuck with a reef anchor you can usually get it unstuck by powering off which usually straighten one or more of the steel bars. But useless in sand or mud.

Cheers

Paikea

Could some one explain to me what is the benefit of a grapnel anchor over other types ,what type of seabed would you use a grapnel anchor on.

I am in need of a new anchor for gravel/sand seabed,boat is 6m

thanks tass

Hi mate. For gravel/sand nothing beats the sand anchor...

http://bla.com.au/default/shop-online/anchoring-mooring/anchors/sand/slip-ring-sand-anchor.html

There are sand anchors and sand anchors, the range is wide and some are much better than others. A good length of chain helps them to dig in as does letting out plenty of rope.

I like to have the rope streaming out at a very shallow angle, especially in high current areas. Too steep an angle and no anchor will hold you. Nothing worse than burleying a spot for an hour or so, bringing fish to the boat when suddenly you find yourself drifting away as the anchor drags.

I also see guys just throwing the anchor and coils of rope overboard then wondering why they cannot hold the bottom. Let it down easy is the go.

Cheers

Paikea

hi paikea

what brand sand anchor would you advise,i run 5m of 8mm chain & just change to reef via d-shackle

I use the sand anchor like in my picture above and it works heaps good. Like Paikea said, don't just toss it over.

Lower it down.

Over reef I don't anchor at all. Drift or Minn Kota. Prevents alot of headaches.