Cronulla Fishing Trip

Pongrass18ft

Hi Raiders

Headed out today with Meng and started off in search of some kings, came across plenty of rats but nothing of size. We then headed straight down the coast for some flathead on the drift, but all fish caught were under size and leather jackets were a pain. Headed in close to the cliffs to have some fun and gather a feed of the bigger six spine leather jackets, also having fun on other reef species e.g. Trevalley, Sweep, Wrasse etc.

Picked up a feed of squid on the way home which was a nice way to finish off the trip before heading for home.

Chris

post-13990-0-20968100-1404387977_thumb.jpg

post-13990-0-90355300-1404388042_thumb.jpg

Nice varied catch man, lovely haul of squid.

I often wonder about leatherjackets. I've had some around the 20-25 cm mark as a by-catch when chasing bream but always chucked them back. Then the other week I saw them on sale at the fish counter in Woolworths. Just out of curio, are they good eating? I know there are different types, does the quality of the flesh depend on the species?

Cheers,

Adam

Nice varied catch man, lovely haul of squid.

I often wonder about leatherjackets. I've had some around the 20-25 cm mark as a by-catch when chasing bream but always chucked them back. Then the other week I saw them on sale at the fish counter in Woolworths. Just out of curio, are they good eating? I know there are different types, does the quality of the flesh depend on the species?

Cheers,

Adam

Leatherjackets are great eating especially the ones in the photo.But I do know one of the species you catch off Cronulla is not worth taking for a feed as I have been informed by meng and it is a dark coloured jacket.(not sure of name though)

Plenty of the small chinaman jacket around at the moment but very small in size though.

Chris.

Leatherjackets are great eating especially the ones in the photo.But I do know one of the species you catch off Cronulla is not worth taking for a feed as I have been informed by meng and it is a dark coloured jacket.(not sure of name though)

Plenty of the small chinaman jacket around at the moment but very small in size though.

Chris.

Thanks ryder,yowie

The rat kings were easy caught yesterday following each other to the boat giving us good fun and good to see them in numbers.