Lilli Pilli

Yowie

Headed out early Thursday morning to fish near Lilli Pilli, certainly was rather cool motoring along in an open tinny.

Pulled out 2 tailor, about 40cm and just smaller, on salted tailor strips, also a bream of 28cm on the yellowtail line, though no yellowtail about. That was it, even the pickers were quiet in the deep water.

Pumped some nippers and drifted about for some time in different places until I found a few whiting around Lilli Pilli. 2 were 33cm, the other half dozen were undersize. At least the wind was almost non-existent, compared to the last few days.

Took a photo, but it has not come through on my G-mail account yet.

Headed out early Thursday morning to fish near Lilli Pilli, certainly was rather cool motoring along in an open tinny.

Pulled out 2 tailor, about 40cm and just smaller, on salted tailor strips, also a bream of 28cm on the yellowtail line, though no yellowtail about. That was it, even the pickers were quiet in the deep water.

Pumped some nippers and drifted about for some time in different places until I found a few whiting around Lilli Pilli. 2 were 33cm, the other half dozen were undersize. At least the wind was almost non-existent, compared to the last few days.

Took a photo, but it has not come through on my G-mail account yet.

Dave must of been you fishing the deep as I motored down through the channel on far side.

10 points on pumping up the nippers,tried to make meng pump a few up but he was frozen :mfr_lol:

Good feed Dave for this time of year

Chris.

Dave must of been you fishing the deep as I motored down through the channel on far side.

10 points on pumping up the nippers,tried to make meng pump a few up but he was frozen :mfr_lol:

Good feed Dave for this time of year

Chris.

I saw a couple of boats motoring through the channel from first light until I moved at sunrise.

The water is colder than a few weeks ago. I waded for a little while on the start of the run-up tide, spooked a couple of flatties in the shallows that were buried under the sand, but no bites from any of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just thought I'll chime in and ask about Lilli Pilli since I have never tried the area and haven't had much luck else where. Just wondering if I could get your recommendations/advice?
1) Where do you go to get the nippers?
2) Can you recommend a good spot for land based anglers to go? (Would love the bream, snapper and tailor and everything else really)
3) When shoud I go? Dawn , dusk, night time?
4) What bait should I be using?

Cheers.
Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

Just thought I'll chime in and ask about Lilli Pilli since I have never tried the area and haven't had much luck else where. Just wondering if I could get your recommendations/advice?

1) Where do you go to get the nippers?

Mainbar/grays point.

2) Can you recommend a good spot for land based anglers to go? (Would love the bream, snapper and tailor and everything else really)

You can fish from the area at lillypilly baths, does get packed at times.

Warnambol shore, grays point, deer park are all worth a cast.

3) When shoud I go? Dawn , dusk, night time?

I've found those times the best over the years, besides once the sun gets high in my opinion it doesn't fish as good.

Fish as light as you can, use long leaders, plenty of burley.

4) What bait should I be using?

Prawns, squid, pillys, nippers are bound to get you results.

There's others too.

Cheers.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Can I ask if you salt the tailor yourself?

If so whats your method?

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Just cut off the tailor fillets (prefer a tailor around the pound mark, or around half a kilo), place the fillets into a glass dish (not metal as the salt will eventually corrode metal) sprinkle a bit of salt onto the skin side, lay skin down then a lot of salt onto the flesh side, and into the fridge for 1 day. Sealed with a plastic bag to try and keep the smell out of the fridge - does not really work, so into the second fridge in the garage.

Next day, drain the excess moisture from the dish and feel the fillets. If they are still soft, leave in the fridge for another day. If the fillets are fairly firm, each fillet goes into a plastic bag, or zip lock bag, with a piece of paper and the date written on it, and into the freezer. Last for about 12 months, by which time the fillets start to turn yellowish in colour.

Same for bonito, slimy mackerel, trevally, mullet.

Dave.

Edited by yowie