Bait board install problem

garfield28

Hey raiders,

I bought a bait board second hand off gumtree, and I was just looking at installing it and having a few dramas. I tapped up the rod holders to give it a dry run before drilling holes, and its too low and sticks out inside the boat too much. I have a removable bench seat that goes across the back, if there are passengers in the back it would be in the way of their seating area.

I think I have 2 options, was thinking that the only way to raise it and have it more outside the deck area would be to put something across the washwell somehow and install 2 sunk in rod holders in the piece going across. I personally think it will look chatty and hillbilly looking If I do.

Was thinking if it is maybe possible to build a custom one out of plywood and then glass it and paint it in a gelcoat or a flowcoat? I think I would make it similar shape to the alloy one attached. I've never done any glassing before so not sure if it would end up too heavy or anything but I'd really love a bait board on the back of the boat and can't cough up $400 plus for a custom made alloy job.

Any ideas for the bait board I could use would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Geoff

post-32204-0-25106300-1404719330_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-72378400-1404719372_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-31859500-1404719414_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-70159300-1404719440_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-99284700-1404719459_thumb.jpg

Hi Geoff,

I had a similar set up on an old boat. Depending on how much space you need, there is a couple of things I could suggest.

Firstly you could mount and pack accordingly the holders on the other side of your wash well, as opposed to the inside if your boat.

The other, and I have done this before, is you can relocate the tubes going into your your bait board to push it back further into the wash well.

The only thing with doing this is to be careful of your motor cowling when trimmed up, as it may hit the back of the board.

I hope this helps.

Rod.

mmmmmmmm thats a tricky one i would first get the bait board to the hight and position you really like then get a section folded in aluminium or stainless and mount it inside the wash well but as prev.said tilt the donk up and check for clearance a neat section folded like a channel with tappered ends will hide the fastning points and look flash and when the bait board is removed you have two more rod holders for trolling

i have two straight rod holders with backing plates all they need is to be polished you can have them for free the section you need to get folded will have to be done by a sheet metal workshop in stainless 3mm would be fine aluminium proberly 5mm ps marine grade aluminium and 316 stainless or powder coated or two pack paint after etch priming

also to help the sheety make a full size template in card board so he gets the angle right hope this helps cheers gary

This may be of interest , inexpensive , easy to make. It's not necessary to glasss the unit , a good coat of varnish will do the job.

There are slots at the rear to store knifs

Mine is also removable , just lift it up at the end of the day & place it in the boat.

Geoff

Looking from the rear

post-731-0-34537900-1404769361_thumb.jpg

Looking from the front

post-731-0-79021400-1404769400_thumb.jpg

Perhaps u can look for a really sturdy fibre glass box and mount it inside ur well. Store things like life jackets or water in it. The bait board can be mounted on top of this. U can probably also do this with the brackets you have made. Ie. put the box on top of the bracket

I hit the submit button too quickly. Your photos do not show the complete rear deck , is there space available for the rod holders to be mounted through the deck?? , like the one shown on the left hand side of this photo.

post-731-0-43713800-1404771282_thumb.jpg

The alternative is to mount them inside the well & have cut outs in the bait board which allow access.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I had a similar set up on an old boat. Depending on how much space you need, there is a couple of things I could suggest.

Firstly you could mount and pack accordingly the holders on the other side of your wash well, as opposed to the inside if your boat.

The other, and I have done this before, is you can relocate the tubes going into your your bait board to push it back further into the wash well.

The only thing with doing this is to be careful of your motor cowling when trimmed up, as it may hit the back of the board.

I hope this helps.

Rod.

G'day Rod, thanks for the reply mate.

When you say you relocated the tubes on the bait board, did you move them wider apart?

mmmmmmmm thats a tricky one i would first get the bait board to the hight and position you really like then get a section folded in aluminium or stainless and mount it inside the wash well but as prev.said tilt the donk up and check for clearance a neat section folded like a channel with tappered ends will hide the fastning points and look flash and when the bait board is removed you have two more rod holders for trolling

i have two straight rod holders with backing plates all they need is to be polished you can have them for free the section you need to get folded will have to be done by a sheet metal workshop in stainless 3mm would be fine aluminium proberly 5mm ps marine grade aluminium and 316 stainless or powder coated or two pack paint after etch priming

also to help the sheety make a full size template in card board so he gets the angle right hope this helps cheers gary

Hey Brickman, thanks for the reply and the very generous offer of the rod holders. I was thinking along those lines actually of having the piece of Al go across the splash well with a piece of angle to attach rod holders with a backing plate, but just worried it would look chatty. Also price a piece of angle at Bunnings yesterday, not even the right dimensions for the job and was over $60 for one piece :puke: I think with the powder coated or maybe even a 2 pack finish it would look allot nicer though.

This may be of interest , inexpensive , easy to make. It's not necessary to glasss the unit , a good coat of varnish will do the job.

There are slots at the rear to store knifs

Mine is also removable , just lift it up at the end of the day & place it in the boat.

Geoff

Looking from the rear

attachicon.gifBait Board with drain fitted.jpg

Looking from the front

attachicon.gifBaitboard II.jpg

Hey Geoff, I like it mate :thumbup: I half wanna make a fiberglass job to A: save a bit of cash and B: say I've made something for the boat that looks good, but also does its job.

I hit the submit button too quickly. Your photos do not show the complete rear deck , is there space available for the rod holders to be mounted through the deck?? , like the one shown on the left hand side of this photo.

attachicon.gifBatt. Insp Hatch.jpg

The alternative is to mount them inside the well & have cut outs in the bait board which allow access.

Geoff

I haven't got that kind of access on the sides Geoff.

Perhaps u can look for a really sturdy fibre glass box and mount it inside ur well. Store things like life jackets or water in it. The bait board can be mounted on top of this. U can probably also do this with the brackets you have made. Ie. put the box on top of the bracket

G'day, VViCKiD, thanks for the idea mate. Any idea of a good bracket system for that part of the boat mate? I wouldn't know where to start with that.

The method u have there of mounting the bait board doesn't look secure. Ie, I don't think those plastics tubes would hold very well. Mine are inside stainless Steel gunnels.

What you maybe able to do is make a plywood, fibreglass platform that can be bolted onto the back. It can sit partially over the wash well and partially over the deck. The bait board would be screwed into this platform. That sounds like the most secure option to me. But this would all be dependent on the width of that area u will be attaching the bait board to. Should be more that 5cm I think

The method u have there of mounting the bait board doesn't look secure. Ie, I don't think those plastics tubes would hold very well. Mine are inside stainless Steel gunnels.

What you maybe able to do is make a plywood, fibreglass platform that can be bolted onto the back. It can sit partially over the wash well and partially over the deck. The bait board would be screwed into this platform. That sounds like the most secure option to me. But this would all be dependent on the width of that area u will be attaching the bait board to. Should be more that 5cm I think

Thanks for the idea VViCKiD.

Hi all,

I sorted it out.

I bought some longer aluminium rails that support the legs and moved the legs wider apart, and moved the rod holders in.

Attached are some pics.

Thanks for the advice and help everyone that replied to my thread.

Geoff

post-32204-0-41475600-1405256632_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-00674600-1405256659_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-23238700-1405256698_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-40698800-1405256738_thumb.jpg