Help - Propeller selection for heavy loads ?

dhype

Hi Raiders

Need some help in selecting a prop for my Honda 50hp (non efi) on the back of a Polycraft 455

The issue is that my boat is very heavy with 3 x large AGM batteries, 2 x bait tanks and heaps of gear on boat... add 2 people it goes ok... 3 people it struggles big time.

Currently fitted with a 11 1/4 x 13 aluminium factory Honda and seeing 5600rpm WOT & 46kph with one on board...

Looking at getting a new stainless steel prop so want to get everyone's opinion on what size prop to help with the heavy load? - not too concerned about losing some top end...

New stainless prop?: 11 3/4 x 11 , 11 1/8 x 13 or 11 1/8 x 14 prop - which would give me a slightly better low end / mid range power I need to haul my fat arse boat? How much top end would I lose?

Thanks

Trung

Edited by dhype

Not sure on that size boat but generally you want a lower pitched prop to get you up quicker. This may result in a slight loss in top end but you said you accept that. I have heard that a stainless prop has a thinner profile than an alloy prop so may pop you up quicker in an equivalent pitch but I haven't tried myself.

I know that 90hp 4 stroke we fish struggled big time with heavier loads with a 19" pitch prop and does equivalent loads with ease with a 17" pitch prop but the motor redlines past 6000rpm at wot and we lost 1-3knots top end.

The boat is still nose down a bit too much when trimmed out but that happened with the 19 inch prop and I think I may need to remove the fins/foil or change the height the motor sits on the transom but while related they are different issues to prop pitch.

My basic understanding is going down a size in prop pitch is like going down a gear in a car.

Edited by Captain Spanner

When you say "it struggles" do you mean hard to get onto the plane?

If so , I dought a different prop will fix the problem but speak to people like Solas as they have very good information that may point you in the right direction.

Have you tried weight distrubition , moving more weight up the front especially the two passengers?

Personally , I would be leaning a Permatrim or Sport SE300 to give you more lift in the stern.

Geoff

When you say "it struggles" do you mean hard to get onto the plane?

If so , I dought a different prop will fix the problem but speak to people like Solas as they have very good information that may point you in the right direction.

Have you tried weight distrubition , moving more weight up the front especially the two passengers?

Personally , I would be leaning a Permatrim or Sport SE300 to give you more lift in the stern.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

It only bogs down with 3 on board and struggles to get on the plane.. once it build up a bit of speed it hums along fine... When I'm by myself there is no issues at all..

I already have a SE Sport 200 installed !

Cheers

Trung

Definitely speak to the people at Solas, I dealt with Shane. I had same problem as you it struggle to get to the plane even by myself. I got 4.2 Aluminium with 2 stroke suzuki 30hp.

Last 2 numbers are usually the pitch size. My motor originally come with aluminium 12" and I was advised by going to 11" would give extra 200rpm and plane quicker.

So I brought from them 11" Stainless steel and it did get me on the plane quicker but lost about 2kmph. Next test would be load the boat with 3 people and see how it perform.

Shane advised that if I am not happy with it, I am not stuck with it and if I sell the boat I can get trade in on it.

Got some discount and shipped to my door the next day.

Edited by valk

Hi, the only way you are going to get better out of the hole performance is to go down in pitch, so if you have a 13 inch alloy prop, you will want to get an 11 inch prop of any material-going up in pitch will make your problem worse.

Cheers,

Huey.

Great - thanks everyone.. Looks like a 11" pitch stainless prop for me.. Honda have a 11 3/4 x 11" ( P/N: 58110-ZV5-E40 ) ... I'll grab one weekend this and see how it goes !!

Cheers

Trung

Edited by dhype

Great - thanks everyone.. Looks like a 11" pitch stainless prop for me.. Honda have a 11 3/4 x 11" ( P/N: 58110-ZV5-E40 ) ... I'll grab one weekend this and see how it goes !!

Cheers

Trung

Trung, get a bigger engine!

You only have to sell 1/2 of your stella-nitro combos.

Why do you think the 455's we fished in Weipa have 60hp's on them?

( you know you want a tiller steer.....)

They even got my fat arse out of the water.

Cheers,

Grant.

Definitely speak to the people at Solas, I dealt with Shane. I had same problem as you it struggle to get to the plane even by myself. I got 4.2 Aluminium with 2 stroke suzuki 30hp.

Last 2 numbers are usually the pitch size. My motor originally come with aluminium 12" and I was advised by going to 11" would give extra 200rpm and plane quicker.

So I brought from them 11" Stainless steel and it did get me on the plane quicker but lost about 2kmph. Next test would be load the boat with 3 people and see how it perform.

Shane advised that if I am not happy with it, I am not stuck with it and if I sell the boat I can get trade in on it.

Got some discount and shipped to my door the next day.

Is your boat made of lead? Have you pulled your anchor back in? Only kidding mate,my 4.2 quinny in runabout configuration with old tech 30hp 2cyl carby MTNT Yamaha gets on the plane really well with an alloy 12"prop with 3 of us fat arses weighing 270kg combined, let alone the rest of the weight of all the other stuff on board.

You should be able to plane easily in yours when on your own especially if its an open boat.

I guess type of hulls, weight, etc make a difference.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Is your boat made of lead? Have you pulled your anchor back in? Only kidding mate,my 4.2 quinny in runabout configuration with old tech 30hp 2cyl carby MTNT Yamaha gets on the plane really well with an alloy 12"prop with 3 of us fat arses weighing 270kg combined, let alone the rest of the weight of all the other stuff on board.

You should be able to plane easily in yours when on your own especially if its an open boat.

I guess type of hulls, weight, etc make a difference.

hahaha... My bare boat base on Horizon's specification weighted at 270kg alone. http://www.horizonboats.com.au/boat-range/family-and-lifestyle/easyfisher-ra/

Add motor about 60-70kg, 3 person and gears, it is well over 600kg.

What the spec of your boat?

My 30hp is really too small for my boat with 3 people but try to fix it cheap and if the prop makes a differences, why not.

Edited by valk

Trung, get a bigger engine!

You only have to sell 1/2 of your stella-nitro combos.

Why do you think the 455's we fished in Weipa have 60hp's on them?

( you know you want a tiller steer.....)

They even got my fat arse out of the water.

Cheers,

Grant.

My hull is only rated to 50hp ... I would throw a 60hp or 70hp in if I could, insurance is the issue!

No need to sell my stellas, I'll just sell my sexy body :P

hahaha... My bare boat base on Horizon's specification weighted at 270kg alone. http://www.horizonboats.com.au/boat-range/family-and-lifestyle/easyfisher-ra/

Add motor about 60-70kg, 3 person and gears, it is well over 600kg.

What the spec of your boat?

My 30hp is really too small for my boat with 3 people but try to fix it cheap and if the prop makes a differences, why not.

It weighs 592kg loaded up ready to fish on trailer as per weighbridge certificate.

From memory the hull is just above 200kg and the motor is in the high 50, s early 60, s kg.

95% of the time it's just me and my son on board though, and for my needs it's been a perfect little boat that has served me well thus far.

If I was going to use it ALOT more than I currently do and carry 3 or 4 people on board most of the time, no doubt I would opt for a 40hp with PTNT.

Hey just sharing my experience with polycraft. I had a 06 4.55 side console with 60 etec on it and when fish with 3 bloke and fair bit of gear I cannot get the boat off plane. Once it's off plane there is no issue. Try to balance the weight and the se 300 does nothing to me. I sold the boat for something bigger now. If I still have the boat I will install a smart tab as it helps head off the plane. Guys at polyowner forum has a nice write up about it. Nice solid and safe boat how ever it's a wet boat unless u have done the chine mod.

Hey just sharing my experience with polycraft. I had a 06 4.55 side console with 60 etec on it and when fish with 3 bloke and fair bit of gear I cannot get the boat off plane. Once it's off plane there is no issue. Try to balance the weight and the se 300 does nothing to me. I sold the boat for something bigger now. If I still have the boat I will install a smart tab as it helps head off the plane. Guys at polyowner forum has a nice write up about it. Nice solid and safe boat how ever it's a wet boat unless u have done the chine mod.

Hi Wen,

I have the same issue with my 4.55 (rate at max 50 HP). I have it on 50 HP Suzuki 4 strokes. It is struggling to plane as well. Lucky me, I have been thinking to upgrade 60 HP Etec too. However, I have found out 50 to 60 does not make big difference. Not sure the 75HP Etec on 4.55 back. Yes, Chine mod has been done my 4.55. The Se 300 did not fix the planing issue, the guys from the polycraft owner recommended to go for the Smart Tab.

@ Trung, you can get a new rating for 4.55 up to 70HP (PM me for info). The polycraft owners have done it. I am not sure if I can push it up to 75HP for new rating or upgraded to Smartwave 4.8 or brumby one. Thanks again for ur help last year.

Cheers

Cheers

Hi Wen,

I have the same issue with my 4.55 (rate at max 50 HP). I have it on 50 HP Suzuki 4 strokes. It is struggling to plane as well. Lucky me, I have been thinking to upgrade 60 HP Etec too. However, I have found out 50 to 60 does not make big difference. Not sure the 75HP Etec on 4.55 back. Yes, Chine mod has been done my 4.55. The Se 300 did not fix the planing issue, the guys from the polycraft owner recommended to go for the Smart Tab.

@ Trung, you can get a new rating for 4.55 up to 70HP (PM me for info). The polycraft owners have done it. I am not sure if I can push it up to 75HP for new rating or upgraded to Smartwave 4.8 or brumby one. Thanks again for ur help last year.

Cheers

Cheers

Hey guys. Don't waste your hard own money upgrading the outboard completely not worth it. When I bought the polycraft I made sure I got the max horse power engine knowing the issue how ever the result are the same. Also 4 stroke weight more than the 2 stroke. Best 3 mods you can do for the polycraft .

1, chine mod

2, hydraulic steering upgrade . Day and night difference .

3. Smart tab. Again day and night different .

Hi, I have driven many Polycraft's, we were the first dealer in NSW years ago and if propped and set-up right the 455 performs well with an I-2 E-TEC-we have them running around here as commuter boats and they have alot of growth on the bottom and still plane fine-trust me the friction marine growth has is ALOT worse than say a third adult. Going from the 40HP to 50HP is not much difference, but the 60HP runs the water valve and it is noticeably better than a 50HP but if the boat is only rated to a 50HP than you would have a problem there. Not sure how adding hydraulic steering is going to make the boat plane bettr, but yes tabs and a sharper chine help any hull get on top of the water. You need to make sure the engine is propped to see close to 6K with normal load and the best prop for the Polycraft is the Rogue 4 blade prop. If some fitted a Viper than that is not at all suitable to such a boat and props make a huge difference and would be the NO.1 mod if soemone is looking to get better performance.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey huey . I am not saying the hydraulic steering is going to make the boat plane better I am saying it's a really good addition to the boat as the cable steering on the poly is really hard to turn. Adding the hydraulic steering makes the boat day and night different in term of handing especially when I try to get the boat off the plan and steer at the same time . Just sharing my experience with my polycraft .

• 2 weeks later...

Update- installed the Honda branded 11 3/4 x 11" stainless prop and what a difference it makes!

Going down 2 inches in pitch resulted in heaps more pickup and all my problems with holeshoot is a thing if the past...

Currently revs out to 5600 - 5700 rpm, lost about 4 or 5km per hour top end. All up , very happy.

Thanks for help everyone!

Trung