50m first run and 50m plus second run

james3210

Have a quick flick this afternoon during lunch break at sydney harbour. Target species is bream. Normally I like to do single or double hop every 10-15 seconds when targetting bream. But today i choose to do the single hop every 3-5 seconds due to time constraint to cover more area. Was using 8 pound braid and 4 pound flurocarbon leader. Soft plastic was squidgies wriggler 3 inch. After the 10 casts or so, I felt something hit the lure but miss the hook up. Let it sink down and another hop

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....Oh my god, love those sound so much. It took maybe 50m of line for first run and then it stops. At this time, I thought I'm so lucky the fish is still at the end of the line (4 pound leader). Start to put some pressure and then this fish must have some energy drink when it stops as the second run it keeps going and going. At this point, i told myself f*** this, i need my braid line back so i put some pressure and ping...the 4 pound line broke. At first thought was jew or big flathead but no headshake? just keep going and going. the sound still playing in my brain. no fight but so happy to hook up to something that can took that amount of line :sun:

bloodworm squidgies wriggler in 3inch. caught 60+cm flathead before but 8 pound leader. I have more luck with 3 inch size. When im using 5inch targetting bigger model, i usually get no hit all day of get smash by tailor.

or get smash by tailor.

bloodworm squidgies wriggler in 3inch. caught 60+cm flathead before but 8 pound leader. I have more luck with 3 inch size. When im using 5inch targetting bigger model, i usually get no hit all day of get smash by tailor.

or get smash by tailor.

My stradic 1000 holds over 200 metres of 4 lb fireline... About 100 metres of 6 lb mono though.

Mine is 2500. spool with 100m 6pound green braid and 100m+ 8pound yellow braid. If it is not then i got cheated by the tackle store. i start seeing my green braid that's why i said the fish took around 100m+ of line.

I recon a stingray I've seen people get them on plastics

Jagged stingray mate! Some stingrays in the harbour couldn't be stopped no matter what poundage of line you using.

could be. i hooked to stingray on soft plastic before but not that kind of run. maybe this is the bigger model.

Had the same thing happen to me down at Dolan's bay last Feb. Only I got my first run back (about 50m) then it took off and spooled me (mono backing popped). 150m of 20lb braid, with 2m of 3kg leader kissed goodbye. I'd love to think it was a good jew or a kingy, but just as likely an eagle ray. It would have been good for both of us if we could have just gotten some colour. Them's the breaks, I guess.

A jewy will do that too you on light tackle easy. After the first run did it stop and feel like a snag? If so ray, if it just stopped running and had some head shakes possibly a jew. Kings will do it but they don't usually stop until they get you in the reef.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago getting spooled on 20 lb with about 200m. It's didn't even slow down and even sped up towards the end I call that one for a big ray. Or lost barrel blue fin tuna in north harbour lol.