50m first run and 50m plus second run

james3210

No headshake mate. After first run, stop 5-10 second but I can feel the line is still moving a bit. When I put some pressure, it took off again. No stopping this time. I need my braid back so put pressure and ping...bye bye.

I got smoked a few months back on 15lb leader . 3 X 50m runs and ping. Of all the fishing memories I've got since then that still stands out. The thoughts of what was it. Could I have played it different. Have run through my head so many times.

I don't imagine you'll forget this any time soon :)

Yep, I agree, and those small/medium sized ones really get a bit of speed up, Iv had a big ray take a squidgie

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same mate

I was fishing for flatties in my local canal and hooked something good. Bought it up thinking a big flattie that didn't fight. Then sydfisher thought it was a giant flounder when he saw it.

Turned out to be a little ray and when he saw the bank or something he didn't like and took a big run, then my 6lb leader goes "POP" and of he goes with my plastics

I can never understand when fishos use a heavier braid than leader??

I'm yet to be convinced of the merits of this.

I believe you would have been a much better chance of landing whatever you hooked

using 4lb fireline & 8lb yozuri pink or nitlon flouro leader.

Just a thought. I have never used lighter leader than braid, & I don't know of any good fisherman that does.

Cheers,

Grant.

I always use lighter leader as braid is expensive ( as an extreme. my syutsujin grand pe was $130 for 300m) I'd rather snap at the flouro if something goes wrong.

Well, that's the way you lose the fish of a lifetime, so if you can accept that then I'm happy for you.

Cheers,

Grant.

I can never understand when fishos use a heavier braid than leader??

I'm yet to be convinced of the merits of this.

I believe you would have been a much better chance of landing whatever you hooked

using 4lb fireline & 8lb yozuri pink or nitlon flouro leader.

Just a thought. I have never used lighter leader than braid, & I don't know of any good fisherman that does.

Cheers,

Grant.

lol lol lol :074: funny as "I don't know of any good fisherman that does", neither do I !!!!! Guys no real need to try to find any justification for that stuff, there is none, the only reason why you'd do that is because you have an "allrounder" reel spooled with 10 lb or whatever and sometimes target "fussy" fishes that need light leader. That is not me vouching for that SILLY manoeuvre, but I'm sure I've done it as a kid, being a bit tight arse.

lol lol lol :074: funny as "I don't know of any good fisherman that does", neither do I !!!!! Guys no real need to try to find any justification for that stuff, there is none, the only reason why you'd do that is because you have an "allrounder" reel spooled with 10 lb or whatever and sometimes target "fussy" fishes that need light leader. That is not me vouching for that SILLY manoeuvre, but I'm sure I've done it as a kid, being a bit tight arse.

I've got my daiwa combo which I've caught kingies to finicky bream. My caldia has 10lb fins braid. Sometimes use 6lb or 16lb. There the two main leaders I use and I still get some good fish in. Sure I've lost some good fish but nothing that special on this combo (yet).

It's always fun with a challenge to

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry but I just don't get it. I've been caught so many times over reef that I would have to respool every 2 - 3 outings. Why would you deliberately make the weakest link in the chain the main line.

A rotten bottom on the sinker is not always enough.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

I got smoked a few months back on 15lb leader . 3 X 50m runs and ping. Of all the fishing memories I've got since then that still stands out. The thoughts of what was it. Could I have played it different. Have run through my head so many times.

I don't imagine you'll forget this any time soon :)

wow...that was a big run man. could not really concentrate at work. that zzzzzzzzzzzzz thing is very addictive.

I always use lighter leader as braid is expensive ( as an extreme. my syutsujin grand pe was $130 for 300m) I'd rather snap at the flouro if something goes wrong.

same here mate. unless i know the area has no snag then i might use heavier leader.

Oh well, I guess fishing is a bit like TAB, people do it the way they like, it often leads to the same result anyway :) if it suits you this way there is indeed, no need to change anything.

Agree completely that you need the give/stretch of a leader but does line class affect how well this works ( I. E. Heavier line is more stretchy? Surely a longer length would have more effect?

With regards to strength (unless were talking about abrasion resistance) what good is say 15lb leader if it's only going to snap at the mainline. Won't you just have an intact jig that's no longer connected to the reel?

I can think of instances where a heavier leaders are necessary. Like in game fishing or distance beach casting.

But as long as the main line dia isn't causing an issue with casting or needing lots of extra weight to hold bottom. Why wouldn't you run slightly heavier main line.

These are genuine questions. I only consider myself an amature and am keen to learn from those with more experience than me.

I pick my leader from my main line strength and up. Also do some research most braids break well above the stated breaking strain. 50 lb can be closer to 70lb. Sure you might loose some braid here and there but 10lb braid to 12lb leader will still snap at the knot if not at the hook.

Agree completely that you need the give/stretch of a leader but does line class affect how well this works ( I. E. Heavier line is more stretchy? Surely a longer length would have more effect?

With regards to strength (unless were talking about abrasion resistance) what good is say 15lb leader if it's only going to snap at the mainline. Won't you just have an intact jig that's no longer connected to the reel?

I can think of instances where a heavier leaders are necessary. Like in game fishing or distance beach casting.

But as long as the main line dia isn't causing an issue with casting or needing lots of extra weight to hold bottom. Why wouldn't you run slightly heavier main line.

These are genuine questions. I only consider myself an amature and am keen to learn from those with more experience than me.

So what is the point to using lighter leader???

If the strength of your mainline is the purpose of catching a fish rated to that line, why would you reduce the strength at the connected end???

My understanding was a heavier leader was for abrasion and for some fish that will bite on the line, but I won't claim to be anything more than a novice learning from fishing shows that are basically tackle store ads.

My understanding was a heavier leader was for abrasion and for some fish that will bite on the line, but I won't claim to be anything more than a novice learning from fishing shows that are basically tackle store ads.

Have you been listening to tackle rat...lol:huh:

Tight lines!, Shakeel

I don't really get it why there's an argument about this. It's like the fisherman says, if someone has a reel spooled with 10lb braid but wants to target finicky bream then what's the problem with using 6lb leader? Is there something wrong with this that I'm missing? If you set your drag at about 2lb then you shouldn't snap the leader in my understanding. Sure it's not ideal but if it saves you going out and buying a new reel and mainline for a fish that you don't often target then I can see why people would do it.

W4z,

There's no real argument. Just merely providing feedback as to not lose decent fish. If it works, then great but it's not the way I or most people fish.

If you can understand when gamefishing the leader needs to be heavier, then the same principals apply. Hope that helps!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Quote - So what is the point to using lighter leader???

If the strength of your mainline is the purpose of catching a fish rated to that line, why would you reduce the strength at the connected end???

If I'm going to get snapped (weather through a monster fish or snagged on the bottom ) I'd rather only lose the rig and not 10 - 50 M of braid each time.

On a bad day drifting I may lose half a dozen setups. That's painful enough just in lead but add the cost of a new spool of braid and it starts getting silly.

I find it bad enough when the jackets bite your line and there is nothing you can do about this. But there is something you can do about catching bottom.

To me it seems as obvious as using a fuse in an electrical system.

Use leader to suit your target fish and then slightly upsize the braid.

What am I missing here???

Game fishing is a different story you may need 100-200 lb leader. This is used when you have the fish at close quarters and for abrasion resistance before that point the weak link is your drag so there is no point having main line stronger than your drag can handle ( and your unlikely to snag bottom when trolling so wouldn't be locking the spool up to break free??? )

I don't have any experience game fishing just what I have picked up in books. Forums ect. So happy to be told I've got this wrong ( in fact I'm happy to be told I've got it all wrong. We only learn by asking and listening)

I reef fish in 70m water monthly and have done for a few years.

I'll be a bit gutted if everyone thinks I've not been approaching it optimaly all this time??

Edited by NaClH2OK9

What ever floats your boat... there is no rule to state that one must be heavier than another. As long as you fish according to the weakest link, then there in no reason why you couldnt use 20lb braid with 4lb leader and still land a fish. I will use a light leader relative to main line in some very select circumstances. A luderick rig is one, where the main line is usually 12lb and a hook leader can be around 6lb

However, in most circumstances it is illogical and will only impede your ability as an angler to achieve the most natual presentation possible. It is stated previously that a light leader is used for finiky fish. The main line and its visibility, diameter and the impact of the current and other elements upon it will also greatly impact upon your lure or bait presentation, not to mention casting distance and capacity.

In regards to snagging up and loosing all your braid, i don't believe this a major concern. Assuming that your main line is not compromised and in good condition and you select a leader that has a breaking strain well in excess of the mainline B/S, then the weakest point in that line should be the leader knot. Even when braid is doubled using a bimini or plait , some reduction in b/s is expected.

There are no hard and fast rules, only a series of compromises. If something works for you or you have confidence in it, then stick to it. Just understand the alternatives