CTP insurance - getting slugged

rockfisherman

Hi raiders

Up until today I was a member of NRMA for 15 year. Had my comprehensive insurance with them up until a couple of months ago, but found a policy cheaper at budget direct, $700 CHEAPER!

I received my renewal for CTP. $1045 insane right?

So I've been sooking about it for the last few days to who ever will listen and go pointed in the direction of GIO. $765 plus a $50 Visa card if I payed with credit card on the spot. That's more like it.

So I ring up NRMA and ask to see if I can get a review of my policy and guess what? They some how got it down to $840 ??? Nothing had changed so Go figure. So I see it as NRMA saying to me:

"We think you're a dumbass, and we're going try and pull the wool over your eyes and shaft you for every dollar we can get out of you because you've been a member for 15 years you think we actually a s**t HAHA! Loser!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah mate, have had similar experiences with NRMA on a few occasions! I have been with them for 37 years and they try to convince you that because of years with them and number of policies that they are doing their best premiums for you..........................crap!

I have rung them on a few occasions and said 'you can do better than that, cos if you don't I'm moving all my policies elsewhere'. Each time I have got hundreds of dollars off their original premiums!

If you don't ask, they certainly do take you for a dumbass unfortunately!

Exactly the same here, multiple policies with them for over 30 years and no mention of a discount until we asked. Unfortunately they couldn't match the others so we moved all our insurances over and saved megabucks. We are still nrma road service members though.

Sent from my RM-875_apac_australia_new_zealand_243 using Tapatalk

Hi raiders

So I ring up NRMA and ask to see if I can get a review of my policy and guess what? They some how got it down to $840 ??? Nothing had changed so Go figure. So I see it as NRMA saying to me:

"We think you're a dumbass, and we're going try and pull the wool over your eyes and shaft you for every dollar we can get out of you because you've been a member for 15 years you think we actually a s**t HAHA! Loser!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the others , I've had the same experience.

There is a web site called , something like , green slip comparision. Fill in your details , hit the go button & it lists all the current rates for the companies offering green slips.

The differences can be amazing.

Geoff

I'm with gio and when the renewal came through a few weeks back the above mentioned site quoted gio as the cheapest with the exact price of the renewal.

It's the first time I've not had to phone up an insurance company and say Drop the price or I'll move elsewhere.

Same here with NRMA. CTP renewal for a 6 year old Hilux Dual Cab 4x4. I always had it as business and it was around $1100.00 this year, so changed it to Private and they reduced it to $900.00. Thought it would have dropped more. Tried QBE and it was $618.00.........Good bye NRMA.

I remember when the government openned it up to all insurance companies, not just the GIO and told us that the price would reduce in a competitive market. That year it cost me $172.00 for the CTP on a Corolla.

J

Just make sure with the CTP that the at fault driver is covered too, not just the other driver. NRMA do this, as do some others. It's worth checking because if you're at fault and injure yourself seriously if you don't have that protection you could be in a lot of trouble. Standard health insurance typically won't cover it...

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure with the CTP that the at fault driver is covered too, not just the other driver. NRMA do this, as do some others. It's worth checking because if you're at fault and injure yourself seriously if you don't have that protection you could be in a lot of trouble. Standard health insurance typically won't cover it...

That's exactly right. I actually work for the NRMA. The reason yiur ctp came in so high and they could reduce it is not cause you have been a loyal member for years and we wanna take you for a ride its simply the fact that if you have your ctp with an insurance company and yiur comprehensive with another company. By government law yiur ctp insurer can not assume that you have that motor vehicle insured else where so they have to charge you a rate as if yiur car is uninsured. You simply ring them and tell them your vehicle is comprehensively insured else where and you get a reduced rate. As for the above comment NRMA never wanna be the cheapest cause what do you get for yiur money. If you have an at fault incident with another company MOST of them simply cover the other party. They will not cover the at fault driver

• 3 weeks later...