Insurance - coverage whilst towing on trailer

seasponge

Hi all,

Been looking at insuring a 4.5m aluminium runabout. Clubmarine were expensive and seemed suited to more elaborate vessels than mine. Got a quote from NRMA but when checking the conditions, they do not cover the boat for damage whilst towing on a trailer. I haven't checked other policies, but if it's anything like other insurances, most t&c's are similar regardless who you go with.

Is it normal not to cover the boat whilst on the trailer, or anyone know other policies that do cover it?

thanks,

Nick

Hi all,

, they do not cover the boat for damage whilst towing on a trailer.

thanks,

Nick

Check your car insurance , I think NRMA cover that aspect in their car insurance.

I prefer NRMA , whilst they provide a total value , they allow you to value each component seperatly , eg , boat , trailer , motor.

As the trailer is the most vunerable when parked at the ramp I have over valued the trailer with a lesser amount on the motor & boat.

Geoff

My understanding, happy to be wrong, if your towing, the trailer is insured on the vehicle insurance.What's on it is a separate issue, ie, boat insurance.

I don't reckon the insurance co will roll with the punches too well with a boat way over value of the car.

Please guys before you buy insurance read the PDS the whole thing not just what you think is correct because is probley not correct.

I'm in the middle of a claim right now a lot of stuff not covered ie fishing gear it say $1000 per pice up to $10000 max I'm like sweet that will do, now that I'm claiming it's correct $1000 per pice and max$10000 then the insurance guy tells me it's rod and reels only so again I read it I'm like it just says fishing gear then he says to read another part it for definitions under fishing gear it says rods and reels only, totally @&$&ed, by the way that's Clubmarine, so far they have been pretty good I have lost about $2500 bucks worth of gear that's not rods and reels maybe more hoping my downriggers I just got come under the boat fittings not fishing gear same as our riggers

Again I stress read the PDS statements from cover to cover and ask questions lots of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by possumms

thanks for the replies. I suspected it may have been covered under the car insurance whilst towing, but was wondering whether anyone's boat insurance covers them for it. My car is a work vehicle and i'd rather not get in a sticky argument over an insurance claim whilst towing a boat.

+1 for reading the PDS fineprint. Just went through that with travel insurance!

I was once involved in an accident while towing my boat on the F3. Only my car and trailer were damaged though. Car insured with Shannons, BMT package insured with Club Marine.

Originally wanted to claim through Shannons but was told they only cover the trailer up to $1000 but at the time had no idea how much the trailer repairs would cost (ended up being $750) so put it through Club Marine. Found out that unlike car insurers though, Club Marine slug you the excess up front and then try and claim back from the other party's insurer.

In the end Club Marine wasn't able to prove that the other party was at fault, even though Shannons could, so I couldn't get my excess back. Won't be going back to them out of principle from now on.

But I was covered when towing.

Marty