Wednesday 6th Sydney Harbour

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

I missed last Friday's session so I headed out today into the Harbour.

The day started with my outboard being a little reluctant to idle.

It's just had its 100 hour service so I was a little concerned.

It was fine after that and ran like a dream all day.

I went out a little later than normal so I headed straight accross to north head to look for some salmon.

There was no action there so at about 8am I headed to sow and pigs for the last of the runout tide.

No action for about 20 minutes until the burley did its job and the first fish came on board.

I was burleying with chopped up pilchards and fishing half salted pilchards unweighted down the burley trail.

It was a pan sized snapper ... the first legal snapper I have caught in the harbour this year.

post-32937-0-94679800-1407307246_thumb.jpg

A little after this the trevally came on. First this size for about 30 minutes...

post-32937-0-64928600-1407307339_thumb.jpg

And then this size for the next 30 minutes

post-32937-0-26933700-1407307400_thumb.jpg

On the turn of the tide it got quiet so I headed over to Clifton Gardens out of the wind and have some breakfast.

I noticed the harbour looked smoky and there appeared to be fires in the northern suburbs.

post-32937-0-95342500-1407307566_thumb.jpg

I motored out to the heads again but there was no action so I went back to sow and pigs and fished the incoming tide.

Same deal, nothing for about 20 minutes until the byrley started working and then a tailor

post-32937-0-52349800-1407307713_thumb.jpg

I had a couple of rods out with squid on them off in deeper water as I have caught Jewies off this reef before. The squid was doing no good so I reeled them both in and baited them up with fillets from the tailor. Out they went again towards the edge of the eastern channel.

After endless numbers of trevally ( most keepers but I had enough for a family feed) one of the tailor baits went off with a slow hard pull which immediatley made me think it was a ray or shark. Almost right after that the second rod went off and I had a double hookup of Port Jackson Sharks. That was pretty interesting at the time but I managed to get them both to the boat.

post-32937-0-56826100-1407308050_thumb.jpg

post-32937-0-93350800-1407308106_thumb.jpg

It was about midday and I had caught enough for the day so I called it quits.

I ended up with a good feed but returned dozens of fish to the water.

The trevally are out there in plague proportions at the moment and they respond well to burley and unweighted baits.

post-32937-0-65309200-1407308494_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

great work mate you got a nice feed there

thats a really nice size snapper ive been getting heaps so close to the legal mark last week i got it least 10 at 28-29cm good to see a legal one

your right about the trevally there around in huge numbers and unweighed and burley is the way to go

also double hook up on port jackson sharks would off been great fun

cheers sydneyfisher12

great work mate you got a nice feed there

thats a really nice size snapper ive been getting heaps so close to the legal mark last week i got it least 10 at 28-29cm good to see a legal one

your right about the trevally there around in huge numbers and unweighed and burley is the way to go

also double hook up on port jackson sharks would off been great fun

cheers sydneyfisher12

Yes, there have been plenty of snapper around this year but they are all so close to legal size but frustratingly just under.

Maybe this means next year we'll get some bumper catches!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Good catch mate!

. Good to see the fish are biting as yowie said , can't wait to get out on the weekend!!

Had some nice weather for it!

What's the water temp in the harbour ATM?

Cheers stanto

Water temperature was 16.5 on the incoming time at noon today.

Sounds like you had an awesome day mate well done you worked hard to produce the results.

When the big fish aren't around just being on the water is enough to give the heart n soul some good quality R&R.

And yes I agree the Trevally are out in plague proportions and my god do they push hard for their relative size. Always good fun them trevs.