Spinning reel drag maintance

Geoff

Following on from my previous post on Spinning reel & the comments regarding the importance of a smooth drag , I decided to Google the subject to find a heap ot sites with information.

This one is very detailed but unless I missed it there little info on suitable products to actually clean the drag components then to lubricate

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/fishing-reel-drag-maintenance.php

A further search found Ardent Reel Cleaning Kit but with the exception of a retailer at Tweed Heads who is asking a rediculous price $60.00 the only outlets appear to be in the US

a shop US are selling for around A$19.00 + freight

Has any one seen or used one of these kits , if so where ??

As an alternative to the kits , perhaps members can share their experience on the best and / or the correct products to use.

Geoff

Mo Tackle usually carry them.

http://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/tackle-and-accessories/reel-maintenance/ardent-reel-cleaning-kit-saltwater.html

A much cheaper option is Salt X for external cleaning and a can of Zippo lighter fluid for degreasing bearings. I use Cals Reel and Drag grease on all my reels. Much cheaper.

Edited by Crossfire63

Checked Motackle , they have the kits for $48.00. I really only need the cleaner & lubricant so $48 is a bit expensive .

I found an auction site that sell Cals grease for $10.00 delivered.

I am yet to check out the local tackle store. Have you found the grease to be available at most stores or is there somewhere special I need to go.

Geoff

Checked Motackle , they have the kits for $48.00. I really only need the cleaner & lubricant so $48 is a bit expensive .

I found an auction site that sell Cals grease for $10.00 delivered.

I am yet to check out the local tackle store. Have you found the grease to be available at most stores or is there somewhere special I need to go.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I normally buy it from

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Australasian-Fishing-Tackle/Reel-maintenance-/_i.html?_fsub=536696919&_sid=738081159&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I use the Tan stuff not the Purple

Crossfire. Thanks , That's the same guy as I found. As I only want to do the drages at this time he said the 7g tub would be all I need.

Ordered yesterday , should be delivered in the next few days.

Geoff

Yeah I've had great service from Ed.

Just out of interest. What type of reels are you doing the drags on?

Just spinning reels at presant , mainly Okuma & Shimino with a few cheapies in the mix.

The drags are easy on these.

I have a few overheads , a bit nervous about pulling these apart so saving that fof another day

Geoff

Just spinning reels at presant , mainly Okuma & Shimino with a few cheapies in the mix.

The drags are easy on these.

I have a few overheads , a bit nervous about pulling these apart so saving that fof another day

Geoff

If you want a hand with any of the overheads give me a yell. Most of them apart from twin speeds are pretty basic

If you want a hand with any of the overheads give me a yell. Most of them apart from twin speeds are pretty basic

Thanks , I will keep that in mind.

This may be a dumb question but most of the reels have several white fiber type discs between the metal washers.

I've dismantled the drags & all the white discs are dry. Is this the way they a supposed to be or should they have a slight smeer of greese applied?

I suspect not but thought I would ask the question.

Geoff

Thanks , I will keep that in mind.

This may be a dumb question but most of the reels have several white fiber type discs between the metal washers.

I've dismantled the drags & all the white discs are dry. Is this the way they a supposed to be or should they have a slight smeer of greese applied?

I suspect not but thought I would ask the question.

Geoff

If they are the standard felt washers then to the best of my knowledge they are supposed to be greased, at least with my shimanos the felt washers are greased and I reapply whenever I service them, gives the drag that silky smoothness :) I may be wrong on your particular reels.

Geoff

If they're felt they should be oiled not greased.

If they're not already oiled or greased then they shouldn't be oiled or greased. Oiling or greasing a system that should be dry will make it smoother but vitually in operable as it will just slip no matter how hard you set the drag.

Carbon Fibre can be ran as either dry or greased. Grease is prefferable for reels used for hard fighting fish to reduce the coifficient of friction and reduce the risk of the drag burning out

Geoff

If they're felt they should be oiled not greased.

If they're not already oiled or greased then they shouldn't be oiled or greased. Oiling or greasing a system that should be dry will make it smoother but vitually in operable as it will just slip no matter how hard you set the drag.

Carbon Fibre can be ran as either dry or greased. Grease is prefferable for reels used for hard fighting fish to reduce the coifficient of friction and reduce the risk of the drag burning out

So for standard shimano felts I should be oiling? I've been using really light applications of quantum hot sauce which is pretty lightweight to start with. And only impregnating the washers not lathering. Will oil give me a better result? (Sorry to jump in but want to correctly do mine) had heard that greasing was the ticket.

The difference between oil and grease is that grease will last longer. Oil is more effective at lower temps, grease at higher temps.

Shimano, Abu and Daiwa felt drags are all manufactured using oil.

If your using the reel in the tropics and chasing big fish on small reels grease will give you an advantage.

I use grease on Carbon Fibre and HT 100 drags, oil (hot sauce or reel butter) on felt drags

On the diawa australia website there are video tutorials which show drag maintenance and the fella uses diawa grease on the felt drag washers, this is what I have been using. Might be worth checking the vids out