Bait runner / feeder - Does it make a big difference?

chokpa

Just wondering what you guys think of bait feeder / runner reels? The ones where there is a light drag setting and a heavier drag setting which you can flick to.

Is it superior to setting the hook yourself?

One issue I have is, will this only be good for larger fish? I assume that non aggressive fish might just chomp at it as opposed to taking off with it? As in, it might work for a kingfish that hits it aggressively because its a fish that swallows others in 1 or 2 bits. But an average size tailor, salmon, trev etc isn't going to behave the same way.

I'm bait fishing off the rocks in the harbour. Sometimes with ganged pilchards, other times with livies under a float.

I'm tossing up between a bait runner or a lighter rod. Not sure what will make the biggest difference to catch rate

Cheers

I got one for my almost teenage daughter and told her don't wind till your loosing line. She completely out fished me last outing ( though I did spend lots of time rigging her up (that's my excuse any way))

Personally I realy like bait runners. Especially for shore fishing

Good fir livies mate lets the fish take the bait and swim off without feeling any tension. Sometimes fish will spit the bait straight away if they feel any tension.

I guess that's my question. Does every fish swim off with the bait? Because if it doesnt the bait runner is pretty useless, if anything it'll mask bites

I have had a couple but in the end stopped using it. If the fish swims off with the bait, where is the bait at that time?

Sorry mate but that last sentence makes no sense.. The bait is with the fish that just swam off with it.

That depends on how the fish takes the bait. Head first? Side on? Biting the tail off first?

Also the question: Who is faster? You getting to your rod, and setting the hook, or the fish feeling the tension.

I agree with most of the fish, except for trevallys. With trevallys the tension gets less when they bite. Probably because the "lift" the bait.

I have a 4500 and a 6000 baitrunner.

I think they are very well made robust reels and if you are in the camp that believes a fish should be struck early then it can be used that way.

If you are in the camp that believes better quality fish are more cautious and will tend to swim away with a bait before engulfing the whole thing then

the bait runners really come into their own here particularly for jewies. They use them extensively I believe in Port Phillip Bay in the Snapper Season.

Personally, I use them more when I am fishing late at night and there is not so much action. I think the fish often hook them selves if you give them little resistance.

This is the whole principle on which the course fisherman seem to operate expect they use an open bail arm.... a old trick the estuary bream fisherman used to use to great effect.

It's one of those tricky subjects because there are plenty of fisherman out there who catch fish on a strike 'em early and strike 'em hard approach and I certainly agree with cameldownunder and that striking early is the go with Trevs, but perhaps not so hard because of the soft mouths.

Edited by fragmeister

I use a few years old shimano 6500b baitrunner for livebaiting for jews and circle hooks too. Mate I love it. I just bought dad one for fathers day, the 8000 OC, so he doesnt nick mine anymore lol. I wait for the load on the rod then the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, then after the first run I engage the main drag by turning the handle and then fight the fish.

I've heard there good for Jews because I've heard if your fishing bait for them and they pick it up a feel weight they will just drop the bait

But you could just use a bait caster if you had one dose the same thing set it with the clip (bail arm) down wait for a take and reel it and then your in gear

Good point SF12... I've tried baitcasters before but i cannot cast them to save my life :)

there is a

Small knob on the side of the reel try increasing that it should make it easier to cast but you won't get the distance but as you get better at casting you can decrease the knob to get a further cast

There are a few utube videos showing this check them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the Okuma Avenger ABF65 today. Will get some 30lb mono and spool it up and give it to dad tomorrow. Hopefully leads to a few fish. If it works well and we want to invest in a second one may look at the baitrunners.

Thanks for the help guys.