Sydney Harbour Thursday 11th September

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Was on the harbour at dawn today so I checked out north head to see if there was and Salmon action.

Couldn't find any so I went and checked a few markers to see if there were any kings floating about.

The western wedding cake had some likely marks on the sounder.

I don't think they were big fish but I think this is pretty typical of the way kings show up in mid water.

Anyway, they wouldn't take a squid strip or a live yakkas or any soft plastic I threw at them.

post-32937-0-77578500-1410427397_thumb.jpg

I fished sow and pigs for a feed of trevaly but it was a little tough due to massive amounts of bait fish picking at the baits. Bait fish were everywhere at the markers.

The Trevs were not particularly big but they were in great condition.

post-32937-0-74718200-1410427973_thumb.jpg

and this one is for the fisherman6784...

There you go buddy ...yet another PJ.

post-32937-0-86556900-1410428076_thumb.jpg

At around 11:00 I headed back over to North Head.

There were lots of seagulls and quite a few boils so I started casting various soft plastics, metal slugs etc at them.

There were half a dozen boats by now and I saw pretty much everyone hook up but not multiple hook ups so we were all struggling to match the hatch. There were a couple of guys using flies but most were tossing light coloured SP's.

I figure that even if you select the wrong lure you are gong to get one fish that takes it purely on reflex and I think this is what was happening as I did not see any anglers catching many fish.

I eventually got some takes on this popper below.

post-32937-0-14169900-1410428592_thumb.jpg

I landed one ( no pic sorry ... too keen to release and get another cast in) and it was around the 60 cm mark.

There were boils all over the place for about an hour or so and some very big fish among them.

Pretty exciting stuff really in spite of the few hookups.

It all died down so I went back to all the markers again to see what was on the sounder but couldn't find anything.

Called it a day and went home and ate some trevally sashimi.

Cheers Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Great day on the harbour

Haha about the port Jackson

Your a master Jim :)

That's a great feed of trevally to and good to see your only taking what you need

I think the salmon would be feeding on eye baitfish so you need to fly fish for them with eye flies

That's this years (if they turn up in the harbour on the surface) target for a salmon on a fly but I really hope there not like kings to bring in, kings are painful, especially on bream flies and 6lb leader :)

Anyway, well done mate

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work mate you got some nice fish

What plastic were you using on the marker? they look like kings to me

Great to hear the salmon have turned up but the ones around the heads can be tricky sometimes there feeding on krill which is almost impossible to match the hatch

Wish I could get out this weekend the fish is really getting good in the harbour can't wait for summer

Cheers SydneyFisher12

Great work mate you got some nice fish

What plastic were you using on the marker? they look like kings to me

Great to hear the salmon have turned up but the ones around the heads can be tricky sometimes there feeding on krill which is almost impossible to match the hatch

Wish I could get out this weekend the fish is really getting good in the harbour can't wait for summer

Cheers SydneyFisher12

5" jerkshads and stick baits in light colours.

there were also stripie schools 3k and7k out in mid afternoon cheers wizza

That's nice and close.

I saw some boats about that far offshore and I was going to venture out but I was having a little problem

with the motor after the recent 100 hr service so I decided against it.

Were the birds active over the schools?

Guys the stripies wre fast moving good early season size with mostly mutton birds also the smaller tuna birds.they blew up here and there.I saw 6 or 8 come out together racing on the surface towards me at one point.looked 6 kg easy .I was returning after a bottom bash trolling a pink squid no hits.they may have been another type of tuna but probably stripies.Get out there and have acrack. cheers wizza They were a little north of the Heads mostly

The baitstealers at sow n pigs are probably jackets. Pulled up 20-30 chinamen jackets last weekend on baitjigs as couldnt hook them on anything else. It got pretty annoying as we couldnt get any baits past them

Yes there were some jackets and sweep amongst them but there was also loads and loads of yakkas.

Yes there were some jackets and sweep amongst them but there was also loads and loads of yakkas.

Good to know there are a few yakkas around, they went a bit off for a while in my regular spots in the harbour through the winter.

Anyone else out in the harbour tomorrow? I'll be launching in middle harbour and working my way out, might have a drift over colours reef and see if anything is hanging out there too since it'll be nice and flat.