Rigging Squid Strips For The Beach

macman

G'day,

Can anybody that knows what they are doing give me a run-down on the method they use. I am not 100% happy with mine.

I am using a 2 hook rig on 1.5 metres of 50 lb mono trace, top hook is using a sliding snell, the bottom a locked half bloodknot or a simple snell. I am usually using a squid head and candle, or the tube and flaps cut into 3-4 strips, depending on the size of the ceph.

The challenge, to get the squid to lay out nicely for up to half an hour after a cast, without bunching.

For example do you do the hard work with the top hook and get it nice and straight and then fix the bottom hook as an afterthought, or the other way round, Is a particular style of hook helpful, ie offset point vs straight etc.

Matt

my rig consists of 2 x gammy occys, from 7/0 to 10/0 depending on bait size.

for squid strips and tailor fillets and occy legs etc i do this:

073403.jpg

my 1/2 hitches usually go around the top of the hook shank. this keeps the bait flat and if properly done will not bunch up even after hours out in the water for jack sh!t

for squid heads i keep them whole (too hard to bait up with a half head) with guts attached sew the bottom hook thru the guts and back of head, hook point should come out between eyes/above the beak. then in and out with the top hook (usually so hook points are in opp directions) and 2 x 1/2 hitch around the 2 semi-hard bits at the back of the head that attach to the inside of the hood.

the heads are a lot more fragile and will come apart fairly easily in rough conds/ after repeated casting.

Edited by bung

G'day macman,

I always use two hooks when fishing squid on the beach. I don't recommend half hitching around the hook shank as a it reduces your line strength too much. I also don't like a sliding top hook. I had a 21 kg Jew expel the bait through his gills & the 50lb trace was easily sliced by the gill rakers. The bottom hook was in his underbelly with a bit of line tailing of it & the fixed top hook stuck in the corner of the mouth on the way out. If the top hook wasn't fixed that fish would have swam free.

So try snooding the top hook about 50-70mm from the bottom hook, depending on the length of the ceph. When you start to snood the top hook pass the line through the top of the eye of the hook instead of from underneath. This will help the strip lay flat.

I use Gammy Octupus hooks from 5/0 to 10/0 depending on the size of the fish & the bait. When fishing this rig pass the bottom hook right through the top of the bait then then right through a number of times until the top of the bait is almost on to knot of top hook. Then simply hook the top hook onto the top of the bait. As long as the line between the two hooks is quite firm you will never have a bait bunch on you again.

As for heads I fish 1 hook but of a larger size. I've found two hooks have a tendency to turn into the bait reducing your chance of hookup.

Give the snood rig a go, I'm sure it will help.

Good fishing,

Grant. :1fishing1:

Gday MAcman, The rig i find o.k is two gamma's fixed around 6/0 and up with both hooks fixed permantly via a snell knot. As Bung said one or two half hitches around the top hook on EVERY bait is mandatory. Ive caught up to 3 jews on the one bait when i have had none left and just simply stuffed my hand down and got the strip back and re used it with a trusty half hitch.Since i fish Alveys i only use a trace of around 20 or 30cm as anything longer than this spins like a helicopter in the air and is easily gathered in the side sweep at times so the smaller the better IMHO. It also ensures a longer cast when needed with this compact rig. Another common big fishtaker i reckon kicks arse is the whole tailor or mullet head with a bit of shoulder left on. Simply pin the mouth shut with a large 10 or 12/0 and hurl the lot out. When Tailor are in piranha mode trashing your hard earned squid this head rig outshines everything and the amount of BIG jew that fall to this rig astounds.

Trace strengths are a talking point. I fished 30 schnieder to the hook for a full season from the sand, got heaps more bites (with fish to well over 20kg) and did not lose one fish through being bit, rubbed or cut off. I wouldnt garuntee you wont get rubbed or bit off but you definately will get more bites. Noramlly 50 is a good allround trace strength and if the fish are in full chew status they won't give a hoot!I always tie all my rigs first then cut or make the bait to suit, e.g if im using a head on the bottom hook then ill put a thin strip on the whole rig first etc

I hope you nail a few in the coming weeks! Cheers

Edited by stix

If you dont like half hitching your trace around your bait, try a product that you can get from tackle shop called "Baitmaster" I think

It's like a stretchy cotton thread on a little spool and costs about 2 bucks

I use it on pillies to help stop them falling apart and on cut baits to make a neat compact bait if I'm casting for max range.

works a treat

:1yikes::1yikes:

Called Bait Mate. You can also rummage through the missus' sewing box for elasticised thread. :thumbup: Works a treat.

66346[/snapback]

:1fishing1: -listen to both what Bung and Stix said :-------just happens that I know em both in some sort of way--------- :1prop::1prop: -its a small world there boys---------(Stix--I recall when you first got some advice from an old fart when you first started to fish for those entrance beach jewies a few years ago!!!!-think about it-it will come to you-------and Bung-lennox is the place-----say hi to chris for me)-------bye---------- :wacko:

ps--Both of these boys and their mates have snagged a heap of Jew off the beach or rocks that would make others envious--------rockworm

:1yikes:  :1yikes:

:1fishing1: -listen to both what Bung and Stix said :-------just happens that I know em both in some sort of way--------- :1prop:  :1prop: -its a small world there boys---------(Stix--I recall when you first got some advice from an old fart when you first started to fish for those  entrance beach jewies a few years ago!!!!-think about it-it will come to you-------and Bung-lennox is the place-----say hi to chris for me)-------bye---------- :wacko:

ps--Both of these boys and their mates have snagged a heap of Jew off the beach or rocks that would make others envious--------rockworm

66868[/snapback]

Is that fishogregg?? If so please email! Cheers

Is that fishogregg?? If so please email! Cheers

67119[/snapback]

G'day guys and thanks for the advice,

I will try to use it to my advantage over the summer. Stix, I loved your fishing world article by the way, well done, then I see that Jamie had an article spoiled with WayneD's mug in it last month :074::074:

See you on the beach some time.

Matt

Jamie had an article spoiled with WayneD's mug in it last month  :074:  :074:

Oi, that was uncalled for LOL... It was Andrews article ;)

umm, What Bung and Stix said with regards the rig :thumbup:

Rockworm: You're spot on too - these two fellas can fish! And Matt can catch blackfish :1prop:

:Funny-Post:

67878[/snapback]

G'day,

I can't even catch blackfish half the time :) , BUT, I am the absolute master on cockies, kelpies, hammerheads, pike eels, port jacksons, happy moments, blowfish .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Matt