The best place in Sydney metro to buy a second hand outboard

garfield28

Hi Raiders,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a place anywhere in Sydney that sell and trade outboards please?

I'm all over the place at the moment with my boat. I need more horse power as I have a 4.75 fiberglass with a 2004 50hp 4 stroke Honda on the back and when I have more than 4 people it is too under powered and the bum really digs in and I can't get it on a plane. Was contemplating selling my boat and buying a bigger boat with a bigger outboard, but starting to wonder if I can find a place that will trade my outboard on a say an 85 HP year 2000+ model for no more than a few grand.... does that seem do-able to anyone?

My boat is rated to 85 HP and if I had that on the back I think would make a world of difference! I really like the E-tecs and I see that they have them in 85 hp range also which is good because I see most other brands are 70, 80, and 90hp.

The 50 flies when there is just a few of us on there but I really want my family to be able to enjoy it also and not have to leave anyone behind because the boat is going too slow because the 50 can't handle the weight.

Any places you can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Get in touch with our site sponsor Craig Huett from Huett Marine Phone: (02) 9456 1444

Thanks blood knot.... had a look on his webiste and looks like he only sells new mate.

I'm more after trading in on a second hand outboard if there are any such places that can be recommended by the other members.

Hi, from time to time we get good second hand engines in and well sell them after going over them-trust me after 50 years doing this if an engine is no good we do not trade them. Finding good clean tech engines is hard and most of the time if we have a good one it is sold before it is even removed off the old boat. Any dealer would be worth checking out becasue we all trade outboards just some dealers are better than others. Unfortunately I have nothing that would do the job at present but yes if you can find a clean 75HP E-TEC it would be a good match-there is no 85HP Evinrude.

Cheers,

Huey.

As Huey say's it's a matter of ringing around & being in the right place at the right time. Leave your name & phone No. & if any thing comes up they can give you a ring.

Have you checked the auction sites , there may be something available but be very carefull as these motors do not come with any waranty.

A good dealer with a good motor will offer at least 3 months waranty which if nothing else gives you peace of mind that your not buying a lemon.

Geoff

Hi, from time to time we get good second hand engines in and well sell them after going over them-trust me after 50 years doing this if an engine is no good we do not trade them. Finding good clean tech engines is hard and most of the time if we have a good one it is sold before it is even removed off the old boat. Any dealer would be worth checking out becasue we all trade outboards just some dealers are better than others. Unfortunately I have nothing that would do the job at present but yes if you can find a clean 75HP E-TEC it would be a good match-there is no 85HP Evinrude.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for that Huey. If you have an 85 - or a 80 HP of any other brand there I'd probably be interested in that.. I'm not just after an E-tec but just size wise I thought it might fit the bill as I cannot seem to find many if any 85's out there. Are E-tec's rubbish most of the time, what would you recommend to be one other better outboards in anything from a 70 through to a 85 HP outboard?

Thanks

As Huey say's it's a matter of ringing around & being in the right place at the right time. Leave your name & phone No. & if any thing comes up they can give you a ring.

Have you checked the auction sites , there may be something available but be very carefull as these motors do not come with any waranty.

A good dealer with a good motor will offer at least 3 months waranty which if nothing else gives you peace of mind that your not buying a lemon.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

What auction sites are there to check other than Ebay mate? If you could pass on a few I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Thanks for that Huey. If you have an 85 - or a 80 HP of any other brand there I'd probably be interested in that.. I'm not just after an E-tec but just size wise I thought it might fit the bill as I cannot seem to find many if any 85's out there. Are E-tec's rubbish most of the time, what would you recommend to be one other better outboards in anything from a 70 through to a 85 HP outboard?

Thanks

Hi Geoff,

What auction sites are there to check other than Ebay mate? If you could pass on a few I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

If I thought (with our 50 years of experience) Evinrude were "rubbish" why would I stock and sell them, also why would pretty much all the long term dealers stock them too and why would Telwater (the biggest boat builder by a fair margin here in Oz factory rig them only-Trust me they have all the other brands wanting them to rig there engines because they sell around 1200 per year. It is a stupid thing to say and what some dealers like to claim because there brand can not do everything the E-TEC does so they like to claim all sorts of BS. The 75HP E-TEC is the cleanest, great on fuel like all clean tech engines, but unlike most clean tech engine they perform so as I said if you can find one and it checks out I would not hesitate to buy one, that can be said for any second hand engine but with some other technologies parts like cylinder heads are very expensive and hard to see corrosion until too late. No one makes an 85HP and as I said before right here today I have nothing that would suit,. but who knows what tomorrow might bring.

Thanks

Hi Geoff,

Thanks

The only others I can think of is Gumtree & Grays online but with all these , but , as your most likely aware , it is very much buyer beware & if your unable to check out the motor I would be leaning towards a marine dealer .

If I thought (with our 50 years of experience) Evinrude were "rubbish" why would I stock and sell them, also why would pretty much all the long term dealers stock them too and why would Telwater (the biggest boat builder by a fair margin here in Oz factory rig them only-Trust me they have all the other brands wanting them to rig there engines because they sell around 1200 per year. It is a stupid thing to say and what some dealers like to claim because there brand can not do everything the E-TEC does so they like to claim all sorts of BS. The 75HP E-TEC is the cleanest, great on fuel like all clean tech engines, but unlike most clean tech engine they perform so as I said if you can find one and it checks out I would not hesitate to buy one, that can be said for any second hand engine but with some other technologies parts like cylinder heads are very expensive and hard to see corrosion until too late. No one makes an 85HP and as I said before right here today I have nothing that would suit,. but who knows what tomorrow might bring.

Thanks Huey.

And I think there was a misunderstanding in regards to the E-tec being rubbish, I'm not say they are I was just asking the question. I don't know enough about anything boating to make a statement like that.

Thanks for your advice.

The only others I can think of is Gumtree & Grays online but with all these , but , as your most likely aware , it is very much buyer beware & if your unable to check out the motor I would be leaning towards a marine dealer .

Thanks Geoff

Yes most likely, but in all honesty, I think saying "Are E-Tec's rubbish most of the time" would mean what I thought you meant and yes I guess I did misunderstand and no they are are far from rubbish as are most outboard today. As Geoff pointed out though buying privately you will want to know what you are doing because it is "buyer beware". I see it all the time, people come in here after spending good money on an over priced engine that is no good and as I said at the start of this, weekly we knock back engines of all brands that people want to trade because they are not upto my standard and I bet they will resurface somewhere for an unsuspecting buyer.

Guest Aussie007

if the 50hp honda is reliable and goes great with a few people on board why upgrade it? just install trim tabs on your boat and problem solved

more hp doesnt mean your boat is going to plane quicker it'll have better hole shot and top speed but the bigger engine is going to be heavier on the ass of your boat so u may see the bow lift higher than with the 50hp when taking off

Edited by gazza