Sydney

Number1fisher

Hey guys I'm a new member sorry about the name made if when I was younger. Just wandering where some good spots are in the harbour for both kings and Jews . Usually fish in botany but it's died down completely in the past couple years. At the moment i only know I or two spots in the harbour. The most successful for me being down at the naval base.

So yea any advice on spots would be greatly appreciated

Guest no one

Land based or boat based?

As GF said, loads of posts on here about the harbour... google also has some amazing answers. If land based check out old mans hat (Check the safety post on it too before you go). Once you have an idea of roughly where to go etc feel free to ask away on tips for that area.

Guest no one

Have a look at spots around the head lands, google some spots such as North head and South head. Personally had a good amount of fish here on a low swell day (only got a 4.3m tinny). Sound around for the reef structure and the drop offs and fish them. Personally I love North Head around old mans hat but this can get plagued with dead weight species like Banjos, Shovelnose, Wobbegong and Port Jacksons... once you get through them and the Scorpions then there plenty to eat down there! Drifting into deeper water will get you flatties although only small ones recently and no doubt there will be the uncatchable school of Salmon busting up which dont want to eat anything!

Jews aren't my thing so no idea...

Agree about Botany... going out there on Sat and Sunday to see if this seasons going to start brighter than the winter was.

Hope this helps - let me know how you go!

It depends all on how big your boat is last summer I caught a lot of king fish in the harbour and around sydney heads as mentioned off old mans hat in about 20m was going really well on larger kings and Samson fish but the kings haven't moved in in numbers yet so it's harder to find them all the markers will hold kings in summer but my favourites were the can at Clifton gardens and the sticks. Also the big yellow can marker. The wedding cakes didn't seem to hold as much kings. I had a really good session at south head last year in January near the gap there it a big drop off from 12 to 20m which held a lot of kingfish on jigs and fresh squid

If you can go offshore long reef is a good option with live bait and plastics but one day it can be firing the next nothing I find it's important to be there early as the bite usually goes off by 10-11am

For bait and lures live bait is great and the best being squid but fresh squids strips and heads work really well too live yakkas and slimys are also good. For lures 5-9inch plastics work great my favourite are 5inch gulp jerk shads in white or blue and 6inch slapsticks in clear, white or pink are great

The kings are yet to move into the harbour in big numbers so most of these spots won't work for a month or two but when they do move in get out there and get amongst them because there great fun

There are plenty of salmon around at the moment I use small 3inch minnow style plastics with 1/8th or 1/16th heads with my favourite being the 3inch powerbait minnow in smelt.

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Sent from my iPad using tapatalk

Ye i got a 5.2m aluminium boat. Last year and early this year we sort of moved into the harbour a bit more cause botany is dead. My favourite spot last year was infact clifton gardens were we got two nice kings and had a 20 min battle and got busted off. This is most likely because he dived down or because we were using bring gear. By the way the two kings we got and the one that busted off were infact caught from peeled prawns. I remember one night we went down to clifton and caught a squid. We had put that outa live from the time 10pm-9am and we got nothing. Ive heard about old mans hat and that its good for kings but the old man has gone out there a couple time with mates and only pulled up one king. South head wasnt to great maybe we were in the wrong depth also outside of the heads but in between north and south head. These two spots produced undersized reds and 15-35 cm flaties. My mate has told me that he hit 15 kings down at goat island fishing the structures of course only taking 2 home and releasing the rest. So any tips on what depth and which side of the island is good for king also ive read there are monster bream there 40-50cm.

Thanks for the help guys and if you have any more tips for clifton south/north head bare island and middle head would be greatly appreciated. Thx again and good luck with your fishing!!!

I didn't have that good of success last year but I did pull a couple of legal kings at goat island the spot to fish is the big red can marker on the harbour bridge side to the north it's very hard to miss its about 10m there form memory. At south head it was about 12 meters and there were a lot of boats so we knew where to go same at north head a lot boats there and there were some really good fish got a lot of 70cm and got busted up a lot on bream gear they were all in 20m. At Clifton there is a drop off near the marker sound around and you should find it the bigger kings hold there but if not they hold right on the marker

Hope all this information helps you get onto some kings

Cheers sydneyfisher12