Botany Bay Sun morning

brad_tate

Hi Raiders,

Took the better half out for a fish this morning in Botany Bay (and outside). We tried a drift off the third runway for 1 reasonable Calamari, but couldn't tempt anything finny. We then headed outside off Maroubra for a Flathead drift that was reasonably productive 2 weeks ago, but dead today.

As we came back inside North head (after watching a late Humpback making it's way south) we saw a Salmon school so tried a combination of Prawns and Slices but couldn't tempt a bite. My wife did catch our first ever legal Snapper in the bay, which I guess was hanging around looking for scraps.

We then headed to the Drums to anchor and set a berley trail, but apart from a couple of undersize Tailor caught on the bottom, got nothing.

Is anyone catching much in the bay at the moment?

Is it just a bit early to expect it to fire, or are we in for a slow summer?

Brad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mate the bay was filthy today, still from the midweek drenching we copped. I went out for a squid near kurnell and the water was very brown compared to what is usually is. Caught nil squid at the squid grounds. I persisted for about two hours. Atleast I got to test the new sounder.

Mick

The last time that I fished a breaking Salmon school I used the smallest metal lure in my tackle box (thin, 25mm long, electric blue colour). That was the only lure that they would have a go at. Ended up catching two decent size Salmon that jumped all over the place.

I think that this was a classic case of "matching the hatch"

Cheers

Paikea

Mate - we were out there Sunday morning for a few hours... Tried plastics and blades out from the Novotel first up for a couple of small snapper and flathead... All released. Then over to trevally alley to set a burley trail and soak some pilchards for not even a bite! Finally we set up at the Yarra bay reef where we managed a few more small bream and snapper on pilchards and chicken... Tried a couple of yakkas live and butterflied... One bite off on the live one, otherwise nothing...

Great day just to be out there though.

@CaptainLukey, at least its not just us that are catching zippo!!

Mate - we were out there Sunday morning for a few hours... Tried plastics and blades out from the Novotel first up for a couple of small snapper and flathead... All released. Then over to trevally alley to set a burley trail and soak some pilchards for not even a bite! Finally we set up at the Yarra bay reef where we managed a few more small bream and snapper on pilchards and chicken... Tried a couple of yakkas live and butterflied... One bite off on the live one, otherwise nothing...

Great day just to be out there though.