jew at wisemans ferry

tide'n'knots

hi guys I hit my favourite spot at wisemans ferry today and did ok ! I expected to be besieged with catfish and eels after the recent rain that we have had, and the water was near low tide and chocolate colour when I arrived too, but I only caught about a dozen catfish all day so it wasn't too hard to take as sometimes they can be in absolute plague proportions.....anyway the tide was running in when I arrived at around 630am and I fished the entire run in for about a dozen small jew between 35 and 45 cm and one small bream. just as the water became slack I decided to zip back to the wharf at wisos and go up to the general store to by a thermos as I was hanging for a cup of coffee at that stage and left my thermos sitting on the bench at home ....grrrr ! when I got back to the spot the tide was just starting to move in the other direction...perfect! over the next couple of hours I picked up 4 nice flathead around 50cmas well as 4 small ones that were released to fight another day then around 4 in the afternoon storm clouds started to form so I decided to quickly put up the side curtains on the boat so I didn't end up drenched but stayed and fished on as I know that the change in barometer can put the fish on the bite sometimes and although it didn't end up raining because the storm just went around me , my persistence payed off. one of my small rods with 6lb line bent slightly and I picked it up as the fish swam off and struck ....zzzzzzzzzzzzz im on ! I could tell immediately that it was a decent fish so I put the rod back in the rod holder and quickly wound the other rods up, pulled the anchor and motored slowly towards the fish winding line back on the reel as I went. after about 5 mins of fun I managed to land an 85 cm jew ! stoked ! im on holidays at the moment so I might even end up back there again tomorrow yet!

pete.

post-869-0-42092900-1414135707_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

Nice one Pete. We have been catching a lot of under size one around the area over the last couple of weeks. Lost a bit of gear to sharks not far from wiso as well. The big bream shouldn't be far away for those who know where and how to catch them.

Regards Jeff

You ripper! Good job mate what bait where you using?

the bait was peeled prawn ... that's pretty much all I ever use down there ...I have caught a few here and there on squid or fillets etc but 99% of the time they take the peeled prawn so these days I don't waste my time with anything else.

Well done, Pete! You sure have Wiseman's wired!

Baz

gday baz ... I caught the fish at the usual spot on the usual bait! ... the guy where I bought the bait told me that a customer showed him a video of himself losing a good jew when the knot came undone on his swivel somewhere near del rio.... you should have the gear out mate!

gday baz ... I caught the fish at the usual spot on the usual bait! ... the guy where I bought the bait told me that a customer showed him a video of himself losing a good jew when the knot came undone on his swivel somewhere near del rio.... you should have the gear out mate!

Pete, I sold the van at Wiseman's, so I haven't fished there in ages. Aiming to fish Broken Bay end and offshore more - that's how it was supposed to pan out anyway! The usual spot near the wires, huh?

Baz