What do you need in a fishing boat?

dnmn8r

Looking to upgrade to a boat under 15k mostly for fishing. I'm seeing a lot of Bayliners and other boats which are marketed more towards cruising and water sports. What makes this style of boat less suitable for fishing? What things do you look for in a fishing boat that these lack?

Never owned a cruiser however I think the limited space because of seating and stuff would be a drama if you wanted to use it just for fishing.

The best type of fishing boat I think would have to be a Cuddy, Half cab takes up too much room imo. Good deep hull that can handle rough conditions outside and lots of room to move about in. Nothing too overpowered but quick and safe also.

But the wife would probably have be buy a dingy instead! =/

Hi mate, don't like bayliners especially the bow riders if your looking to go outside don't like swell, get on to Boatpoint and look up Cruise craft and look at the Reef Raider if your going outside.

Other alternatives would be something like a Quintrex Freedom Sport, hull is good for outside and it gives you the best of both worlds fishing, kids, family and so on. You can pick up either of these for $ 15 K or less just need to get one with a good engine.

Hey mate

The old man had a 2005 bayliner 185 bow rider Capri with the big motor for wakeboarding a few years ago , sure you can throw a rod out of them but if your going to do a serious days fishing it would be hard. With the back to back seats and rear lounge or sun bed there is absolute minimum room in the rear. 4 people and two wake boards jackets and towels and she was fair full on an 18.5 ft boat. If adults are in the bow the nose so low not so bad with kids tho but still we got caught in the harbour when she blew up and had to trim so it was full nose up and drag the arse through the water, don't get me wrong there a great boat and a beautiful ride and I loved it for the watersports and cruising but not a good fishing boat , keeping in mind this is just my opinion though everyone has different views,

Currently I have a 5.2 sefarer viking ( cuddy ) and the room in the boat is amazing four people can fish three more comfortable and I can use the hp to tow a tube and cruise if I want . Great hull nice deep v that cuts through the chop , if looking at a fishing boat have a look at cuddys or similar quinnies! Quintrex make the freedom sport which like the bayliner are bow riders and are a decent alrounder and sit a bit higher and can handle a bit more chip,

Cheers jake

Never owned a cruiser however I think the limited space because of seating and stuff would be a drama if you wanted to use it just for fishing.
The best type of fishing boat I think would have to be a Cuddy, Half cab takes up too much room imo. Good deep hull that can handle rough conditions outside and lots of room to move about in. Nothing too overpowered but quick and safe also.
But the wife would probably have be buy a dingy instead! =/

Yeh I've figured they've got limited space for fishing, but it's generally only ever me and the old man fishing. Are they still too tight for 2 people fishing? My sisters would probably enjoy just relaxing in the sun.

Hi mate, don't like bayliners especially the bow riders if your looking to go outside don't like swell, get on to Boatpoint and look up Cruise craft and look at the Reef Raider if your going outside.

Other alternatives would be something like a Quintrex Freedom Sport, hull is good for outside and it gives you the best of both worlds fishing, kids, family and so on. You can pick up either of these for $ 15 K or less just need to get one with a good engine.

Coast Runner and the Freedom Sport both look fantastic, but I can't see any in that price bracket. (At least not 4.5m+). There's a Reef Raider on there that has a nice engine sitting on it, but the hull is 1990 so not too sure if that's too risky.

I've been looking as well with a similar budget, check out the coast runner.

I've got the 480 coast runner great boat for the harbour and even out side work as far as the fads on good days

Cheers sydneyfisher12

I'll have a better look at these boats. Are they glass? If so, how do you feel above driving them onto the sand?

Hey mate

The old man had a 2005 bayliner 185 bow rider Capri with the big motor for wakeboarding a few years ago , sure you can throw a rod out of them but if your going to do a serious days fishing it would be hard. With the back to back seats and rear lounge or sun bed there is absolute minimum room in the rear. 4 people and two wake boards jackets and towels and she was fair full on an 18.5 ft boat. If adults are in the bow the nose so low not so bad with kids tho but still we got caught in the harbour when she blew up and had to trim so it was full nose up and drag the arse through the water, don't get me wrong there a great boat and a beautiful ride and I loved it for the watersports and cruising but not a good fishing boat , keeping in mind this is just my opinion though everyone has different views,

Currently I have a 5.2 sefarer viking ( cuddy ) and the room in the boat is amazing four people can fish three more comfortable and I can use the hp to tow a tube and cruise if I want . Great hull nice deep v that cuts through the chop , if looking at a fishing boat have a look at cuddys or similar quinnies! Quintrex make the freedom sport which like the bayliner are bow riders and are a decent alrounder and sit a bit higher and can handle a bit more chip,

Cheers jake

Thanks for that mate, I guess I really just have to figure out if my happiness (fishing) is more important, or the enjoyment of others is. :P

check out pics of my boat..........$18.5k 5 years ago new with everything you see. since then the only upgrade has been the sounder, jan 2013 to hds7 w/lss2 and oct 2014 to hds10.

Looks like you nabbed a good deal mate. How do you find the centre console layout?

The boat is a side console mate, and I love it. I generally use plastics off the boat anyhow, every now and then I target jews with bait, but mainly plastics every time im on it. Even in the rain I put on wet weather jacket and waders so I can fish in inclement weather if I feel like it.

I ended up buying an Ally Craft 475 Bow Rider. I figured it's a nice compromise between the bayliner bow riders and a good cuddy, while being more enjoyable for the family to get on.

Relative to the 395 Dart that I just sold, it's a beast. Much higher sides, wider beam and heavier.

All that's left to do is add a fish finder. It's got a tab at the back to place the transducer, but I'm not sure on how to run the wiring. I'm looking at the Elite-4X and that has quite a fat plug :/

3tgHy8q.jpg?1

Nice one mate, bet you cant wait to get it out now. If your after a sounder, contact Craig from Huett Marine (He is a site sponser of fishraider). He has always given me the best price I can find anywhere. I drive from Campbelltown to Cowan to pick the sounders up and am still 100's in front.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put a 4x in a savage. Very fat plug. Decided not to go through the transom but over it. Manage to get the rest of the runs ok. Use the supplied pin protectors when fiddling with the plugs. Haven't been out on the water yet but I couldn't pass it up at the price. Next season I'll get a Gen3 something.