Rose Bay Sand Flats 28/10/14

mitchie18092

Finally a bit of success!

With some much improved conditions compared to the day before, i managed to fit in a good hour and a half or so after work.

Got down there around 6pm, for the last bit of the run out. Waded out approx 200m along the drop off near the moorings on the left, first cast and i'm onto a little flattie. Just a tiddler so i send him home. For the next half an hour i got harassed by what im assuming were jackets or tailors - shredding my plastics to bits.

Upsized to a 100mm Wriggler in bloodworm. Back to same spot and first cast i feel a good hit and im on - a nice 30cmish trevor which made a good account of itself on my 3lb line. Put him back to live another day and very next cast im on again! This time up comes a nice flatty - keeper this time. I'm a bit uncoordinated when it come to dispatching fish waist deep and putting him in my back pack so had to walk all the way into shore to sort him out.

Saw a gentleman i had squid fished with a couple months prior and we walked back out to the same spot together. Bite slowed down a touch with the slack tide, and though we were both getting a few hits we were a bit more interested in having a little chat. We both pulled up another little tiddler flattie before it got a bit dark/cold so we decided to head in.

Keep in mind we are a good 100-150m out from shore - literally 3 steps on the way back my knees buckle and i feel this overwhelming shock run through my body, let out a mighty old yelp and see the culprit swim a couple feet away. Bloody numb ray! Had rubber soled shoes on as well - which leaves me to this question - if i had waders on would it still have shocked me? Might need to invest in a pair. Reel got dunked, bag and myself all went it. Luckily phone and everything didn't get wet. Safe to say it was a fairly paranoid walk back into shore.

Anyway - eventful little afternoon - gave the flattie to my girlfriends mum in exchange for a cup of hot water, honey and ginger to calm me down a bit. (Lives in an apartment block on the water there).

Sorry no photos - had other things on my mind!

Edited by mitchie18092

Numb rays... gotta love them!

Waders would have protected you as they are made from rubber and a neoprene base, despite you having rubber soled shoes on i assume your legs were still surrounded by water? Water is a conductor so if your legs were wet and exposed then yes the shock would have transferred to them. Waders would have had the layer of protection to stop this from happening.

Did you go completely numb? I caught one in Botany Bay a few months back and touched it as it didn't know what it was - nearly blew my arm off, couldn't feel it for 12 hours, even took the day off work!

Fantastic work man (aside from getting hit by the ray obviously, hope you're okay!) Knew that area would come good for you in the end, what size was the keeper flattie?

I'm always reluctant to wade out much further than past the sailing club there as I don't want to get hit by anything I can't see on the bottom. Tried with heavy gum boots a few months ago, but the water just kept coming in over the top.

Numb rays... gotta love them!

Waders would have protected you as they are made from rubber and a neoprene base, despite you having rubber soled shoes on i assume your legs were still surrounded by water? Water is a conductor so if your legs were wet and exposed then yes the shock would have transferred to them. Waders would have had the layer of protection to stop this from happening.

Did you go completely numb? I caught one in Botany Bay a few months back and touched it as it didn't know what it was - nearly blew my arm off, couldn't feel it for 12 hours, even took the day off work!

Ahh of course, simple if you think about it! My whole leg didnt go numb, it was just from the calf down on my left side but my body felt like it was vibrating for a good hour or so after, think it was just a bit of shock on my behalf though. Never really thought they would zap you that bad to be honest.

And cheers Adam - was certainly getting desperate for a productive session! Flattie wasn't a bad one, didnt measure it up but would have been 40-45cm and surprisingly fat. Funny thing is it actually put up a decent little fight, maybe they go harder when lure fished as opposed to just swallowing my ganged pillie?

In 4.5 years of fishing here I've not seen or heard of a numb Ray. How do you guys handle them (so to speak) just cut the line?

Not sure what other people do Steve but I just cut the line. Last Saturday I stopped a young boy at dutchies beach from touching one! Could have been ugly!

In 4.5 years of fishing here I've not seen or heard of a numb Ray. How do you guys handle them (so to speak) just cut the line?

Either you are one lucky person or not wading in the water.

Numb rays are all over those sand flats, after catching a few a treading on one I don't fish there any more.

If they get you good you could pass out in the water and drown when it's only knee deep.