Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished near Deer Park early on the last of the run out for 1 undersized jewie about 60cm, plus bait stealing little reddies and trumpeters. About sunrise, a few fish started splashing near the boat, just out of casting range, so pulled up the anchor and motored towards them.

Appeared to be kingies, and would not take any lures. They were feeding on whitebait. Let the lure sink under them and pulled out 2 tailor in the mid 30's and dropped another one.

At the bottom of the tide, pumped some nippers and drifted various sand flats on the run-up for quite some time for 2 flatties about 40 and 44cm, a long time between the bites. Saw quite a few whiting in places, but they were not interested in the nippers. They were feeding over the squirt worm beds, so probably only interested in worm baits.

Better than nothing at all. The water is very clear again.

**Photo now attached.**

post-13153-0-36092500-1414642049_thumb.jpg

Edited by yowie

Agh, back in home territory mate! A shame you didn't get to wet a line while you were up here, but thems the brakes! Always good to be fishing home grounds though. Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Would have liked to have a fish, but busy with entertaining and a few drinks. Had a couple of fish feeds, including snapper fillets at Catch restaurant at Shoal Bay.

Could not take the kayak with me, as I injured a shoulder and would not be able to paddle too far.

Edited by yowie

Good read Yowie,

I look forward to reading your reports as I used to live in the shire and fished almost exclusively in the area.

I think many find it a little tough at times in that system with such clear water not providing a lot of cover for predators or prey.

You have to know your locations and your times & tides.

Deeban spit used to be a highly productive flathead spot for me when I was land based but it seems to have gone downhill over the lat 10 years.

Whats your personal experience of the flathead scene that area?

Cheers

Jim

Good read Yowie,

I look forward to reading your reports as I used to live in the shire and fished almost exclusively in the area.

I think many find it a little tough at times in that system with such clear water not providing a lot of cover for predators or prey.

You have to know your locations and your times & tides.

Deeban spit used to be a highly productive flathead spot for me when I was land based but it seems to have gone downhill over the lat 10 years.

Whats your personal experience of the flathead scene that area?

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

I usually fish to the west of Deeban Spit up to Lilli Pilli. The flatties can be found over the banks on the higher tides, but also can be caught on the drift (either tide) along the main channel from Lilli Pilli to near Gunnamatta Bay. Some big ones are in the deeper water during the warmer months.

Dave.

Jim,

I usually fish to the west of Deeban Spit up to Lilli Pilli. The flatties can be found over the banks on the higher tides, but also can be caught on the drift (either tide) along the main channel from Lilli Pilli to near Gunnamatta Bay. Some big ones are in the deeper water during the warmer months.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

Might head over that way with the kids on Saturday for a change from the harbour.

Probably wont get much fishing in but its great to get out in that part of the world again.

Cheers

Do you flick SPs for them or just drift a pillie?

Nippers. In the shallow water, a small ball sinker onto the hook, flick it out, let it hit the bottom then jig it back to the boat, Also catch whiting, bream, flounder, trevally, long tom, an occasional salmon or tailor (salmon and tailor will feed over the sandflats in a metre of water at times)

Only problem with nippers is the pickers - little bream, whiting, tarwhine, toads.

In the deeper water for the bigger flatties, pillies, live baits, butterflied fish are the go.

Edited by yowie

Welldone yowie, good feed. And there have been a few kings around ive noticed as well

Would have a better chance targeting them. The ones I land as a by-catch are usually just under sized.

As a side issue, I was walking through Southgate Shopping Centre at Sylvania today, always have a look in the fish shop window, and there were 3 kingies for sale, all about 40cm long !!!

Would have a better chance targeting them. The ones I land as a by-catch are usually just under sized.

As a side issue, I was walking through Southgate Shopping Centre at Sylvania today, always have a look in the fish shop window, and there were 3 kingies for sale, all about 40cm long !!!

Most likely farmed fish, you can tell by their smaller tails

Good work there yowie... haven't been on the water myself for at least 8 months now but it is always good seeing your reports.

keep them coming mate

Thought you had left the forum, nothing from you for a while.

Dave.