Bream/Flathead Setup

Verror

I'm mainly fishing for Bream and Flathead, and other small species, and want to set myself up with something better suited. At the moment I'm using a pretty entry level combo by Jarvis Walker that seems too big, and heavy, for this kind of fishing.

I've taken a look through a lot of information here and come to the conclusion that a decent setup for this would be a 7" rod at a 2-4kg rating with a 2000-2500 reel.

With that being said I've had a look around to see what I can pick up within my price range and found the following 2 pieces available at BCF.

Rod: Shimano Sonic Pro V2 2014 Spin Rod 7" - 2-4kg rating

Reel: Daiwa Sweepfire spin reel - E2500A

Would these be a good choice for around a $100-$150 budget for bream/flathead fishing, predominately on soft plastics?

For that budget I would have a look at a shimano catana and a shimano sienna. I have one with 6lb braid and it's a great entry level soft plastics rod. Mine is the 3-5kg catana rod with the 2500 sienna reel and 6lb power pro I got the whole combo for under $100. It handles all estuary fish and I've even got a rat kingfish on it.

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Thanks for the input guys. BCF have a deal on at the moment for a Shimano Sonic Pro 2014 7" 2-4kg and a Shimano Cazna 2500, so I'll probably go with that.

I saw a few articles about the Catana but haven't been able to find anywhere local that stocks them @Sydneyfisher12

Scratchie: The Sahara also looked good. I wasn't sure on the line size, though 10lb might have been a good choice, but something more around the 8lb mark seems a better options.

Congrats on the flattie @antony.

mate I reckon you could get away with 4-6lb and just up the leader a touch depending on what you're targeting. will certainly help in casting distance and sensitivity to bites. I've got a setup with 3lb and a setup with 8lb and you'd be surprised the difference it makes. Only trouble with the lighter lines is wind knots or having it wrap around your guides. nothing a bit of practice won't fix though!

I agree with Sydneyfisher 12. I have a few of the exact combo's the Catana rod with a Sienna reel, either 2500 or 1000. Either works well and are fantastic. You should get this combo for around $80. Use 6lb braid and 10lb flouro flathead, and 4lb flouro for bream. Job done.

I'm with Mitch, 3 pound will get you more fish. 4 at the most for those species, bear in mind braid is generally stronger than listed. Most rods struggle with their maximum line rating, going over it is only detrimental to the performance of the outfit.

Definitely 4-6lb braid, and I'd put a vote in for the sonic pro, had the 3-5g and caught flatties and a nice jew and handled it. For regular stuff go the 2-4kg the 3-5 is a bit of a broomstick. Grab a sienna too mate. They're the best bang for buck reel on the market had a 1000 and 2500 and they're workhorses. Ridiculously easy to service yourself too. Avoid low end daiwa in my opinion

Cheers

For that budget I would have a look at a shimano catana and a shimano sienna. I have one with 6lb braid and it's a great entry level soft plastics rod. Mine is the 3-5kg catana rod with the 2500 sienna reel and 6lb power pro I got the whole combo for under $100. It handles all estuary fish and I've even got a rat kingfish on it.

Cheers sydneyfisher12

I'll second this, I've caught Flatties to 80cm at Narrabeen on my Sienna 2500 / Catana combo... Got mine from BCF a while ago. I think I'm running 8lb or so braid with a decent Fluorocarbon Leader.. Handled the big fish no problem...

The lighter you go, the more fun the big fish will be!

Enjoy the new outfit!

I also have the Catana / Sienna combo (7 foot 2-4kg rod, 2500 reel) 4lb braid, 6lb FC leader and it has served me very well. This outfit casts very light plastics with ease and will handle decent bream and flathead no probs. If you shop around you can pick it up for well under $100 which will leave you some change to get a few plastics/jig heads and maybe even some hards.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ian

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I ended up going with the Shimano Sonic Pro 7" 2-4kg + Sienna 2500. Couldn't find a Catana locally but the Sonic Pro looks to pretty much be the same thing. Will be taking it out on Sunday to see how it all goes :)