Canal, 09/11/14

adamski

Hey Raiders,

Sorry for two reports in two days, I'll try and do whole weekend reports in future.

Anyways, after yesterday's disappointment I thought I'd try and crack the local canal again with soft plastics. Headed down for the run-in and arrived around 9ish.

I started off on the same camo crabbies I had on yesterday with a 1/16th jighead, giving the plastic little triple hops that I've seen in a couple of videos. After a few casts I started to get the little takes from small bream. They must have picked the legs off 3 or 4 lures before I finally got a hookup. Nice little fight on the light outfit and looser drag. Got it in close, tightened the drag and grabbed the line to lift it up onto the bank. Fish came in at just legal. First bream on plastics!!!

post-33473-0-31179300-1415501129_thumb.jpg post-33473-0-02336800-1415501156_thumb.jpg

Worked my way down the bank in the shade, putting the new Gen Black through it's paces with careful casts, I love how much accuracy I can get on it, really makes me appreciate the new rod. I was a bit fed up with loosing crabbies, so I switched to a little white ghost shrimp that I bought from an Asian place in Burwood. I figured they wouldn't get annihilated quite so often. Again, a few casts and I started to get little takes. 5th cast and I got another hookup. Same result- barely legal bream!

post-33473-0-55256700-1415501144_thumb.jpg

Finished the morning by switching to a wriggler just to see if the bream would go for it. Second cast and I get a ping on the bottom and up comes a little flattie. Next cast and I get another little flattie, cept I'd forgot to loosen the drag from the last lifting onto the bank (really need to get me a net ASAP) and it bust me off.

post-33473-0-99883000-1415501171_thumb.jpg

All in all, a great little morning. Big shouts of thanks to Sydfisher, TheFisherman and Witha for their help over the last few weeks, especially for the lure recommendations and taking me out to show me the ropes.

Nice work mate good to see you getting some good fish on plastics

Try the powerbait crabbys they'll minimise the little fish that hit the gulp ones most likely little tailor hitting your lure

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Cheers man, I'll keep my eyes out for the Powerbait crabbies, took me a bit of searching before I finally found the Gulp! ones in a shop. Thanks again for the lure tips, really paid off today.