going to port stephens next week any help with where to fish

stevex

Hey all taking the kids and wife to port stephens begining of next week and wanted to do some fishing while im out there can anyone help me on where i can try and wats biting out there atm also wat bait to use as ive been there once a few years back and struggled to catch anything any help would be great

Where about's are you going to be based? Nelson Bay, Soldiers Point?

D'Albora marina break wall is a popular land based spot for the usual suspects, usual tactics with usual baits. Plenty of beaches to hit too for Flatties & Squid all around Shoal Bay worked for me. All depends where you are based.

Hi Steve,

The breakwall as mentioned is great for the kids and wife. Early morning and late arvo the kings are on. Shoal bay good for squid and flatty. At Corlette you can pump nippers and use them for whiting there on high tide. Wanda headland great for a variety of species. Soldiers jetty near shores good for bream and tailor. Around taylors beach you can walk along and chase flatty and whiting. Off the stones from Anna bay to fingal you can catch anything. Boat harbour is the pick at telegraph point and if you drive past say hi!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers scratchie thats great help will try theses and let u no how i go ill be happy to catch 1 decent fish to show the kids then let it go cause just happy to catch em not a big fish eater . any recommendations for good baits for kings and flattys i no theses days everyone use artificial baits but im still old school and use baits as ive had no luck with plastics thanks again mate

Cheers scratchie thats great help will try theses and let u no how i go ill be happy to catch 1 decent fish to show the kids then let it go cause just happy to catch em not a big fish eater . any recommendations for good baits for kings and flattys i no theses days everyone use artificial baits but im still old school and use baits as ive had no luck with plastics thanks again mate

No worries. For the kings you will need fresh squid or live yakkas. but yakkas are hard to come by land based. Squid you can get from dutchies to bagnalls, or at shoal bay. Desperate option, go to the co-op. Cast off the breakwall on a double hook snelled rig, minimum 30lb line 50lb leader and no weight. Don't be afraid of casting inside the wall either. From the marine rescue boat down to the end of the wall. For flatty, I only use sp's but a lightly or unweight pilly on a gang hook slowy rolled over the bottom should do the trick. If you do have sp's, they are great way to get the kids into it and walk the many beaches. A 1/8th 2/0 jighead with 100mm blood worm wriggler or 100mm squidgy silver fox will do the trick. Just get them to cast out as far as they can and slowly wind in. Saves you having to bait hooks and many places you can just stroll. Especially the bay side of soldiers point on high tide in the arvo's. I catch a million there but don't tell anyone! :secret:

Hope that helps!

cheers scratchie!!!