First Whiting on a Surface lure.

mitchie18092

Had my first propper crack at them on Sunday just for an hour or so, was tricky with the wind blowing a gale but still managed a couple of follows which was promising.

Went down again yesterday after work for a quick session and for the first half hour on the slack tide didn't manage any interest. Finally saw two big flashes of silver behind my lure but no hook up - then two casts later got my first! There were 3 fish fighting for it which was pretty amazing to watch. Stupidly enough i went back into shore to take a photo and by the time i got back out there didn't have much more luck. Saw a shovel nose cruise past my feet and a couple of boils a bit further out but no takers.

Must say it was the most rewarding fish i've caught in a while - cant wait til the waters warm and they really fire up!!

post-33454-0-36006200-1416266601_thumb.jpg

Edited by mitchie18092

Great effort! There's nothing like catching a whiting on a popper! Considering the dynamics of the fish been bottom feeders, I was a bit confused when I was shown the first time. But wow what a rewarding way to target a fish! It looks like a Sammy you were using?

Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks guys, and yes Scratchie - Sammy 65 doing the damage! great little lure, only trouble with it is the occasional foul hooking while casting into the wind. Not sure of the colour code but transparent and prawny looking. Had another crack yesterday arvo, water felt a little bit cooler which also resulted in a few less follows/hits. Did manage another one which went 32cm - nice and fat too. took him home :)

After the whiting went quiet - think they might have spooked - moved over towards the sailing club at rose bay and was casting into the moorings, managed about 10 choppers in 15 or so casts before i got too anxious about losing my lure so headed home. Good fun on 3lb! Nothing better than seeing a fish hammer it on the surface.

post-33454-0-82797800-1416355228_thumb.jpg

post-33454-0-29362900-1416355299_thumb.jpg

On the flats, or where there's some moving water that connects to the flats, try using a river2sea 38 or 45mm popper. When their on, they go nuts over it. Great to watch! Can't wait for those summer mornings to go target them myself!

Cheers scratchie!!!

On the flats, or where there's some moving water that connects to the flats, try using a river2sea 38 or 45mm popper. When their on, they go nuts over it. Great to watch! Can't wait for those summer mornings to go target them myself!

Cheers scratchie!!!

The Bubble Pop's? just had a look on their website, look the goods! probably going to invest in a few more poppers/stickbaits anyway so looks like a good starting point. Thanks mate!

First thing I did Ryder! Was pushing it on those last couple as it was - luckily they were hitting the rear treble more often than not.

That's a nice little collection there blood knot, mind me asking what the top right one is? Looks a winner!

Sorry mate you picked the one out of 2 that does not have any identifying marks at all ( the other is the first little black and clear popper) have no idea about it either

Cheers BloodKnot