Fuel in the bilge, 5m freedom sport

achjimmy

Evening raiders

After last Sundays mild 40c I smelt fuel in the shed. Went looking tonight and I found fuel in the bilge of the Quintrex. Now my immediate thought is the tank itself is leaking, but starting to think most likely the fuel hose from the tank to the filter? I haven't been under there for years and was always going to replace the fuel line next time!

My question is ? Am I in a happy and do the alloy tanks leak after 10 years or is it most likley a 10 yo rubber fuel line? Presuming the fuel line takes off from the bottom of the tank?

Evening raiders

After last Sundays mild 40c I smelt fuel in the shed. Went looking tonight and I found fuel in the bilge of the Quintrex. Now my immediate thought is the tank itself is leaking, but starting to think most likely the fuel hose from the tank to the filter? I haven't been under there for years and was always going to replace the fuel line next time!

My question is ? Am I in a happy and do the alloy tanks leak after 10 years or is it most likley a 10 yo rubber fuel line? Presuming the fuel line takes off from the bottom of the tank?

Jim,

I would lift your floor and check the tank thoroughly, I was recently out in my coastrunner(2005) and after smelling fuel, I liftied up a hatch and found raw fuel in the bilge. Immediately diluted it with sea water and headed back in. Found a hole in bottom of fuel tank and fuel constantly running out.

Your fuel line will be at the top of the tank and going into a fitting with a solid pickup line into the tank. Both breathers will be at the top as well.

On removal found 2 other spots on the tank undersurface that were starting to pit/corrode. Had it welded up as the rest of the tank was I good nic.

Gaz

Jim,

I would lift your floor and check the tank thoroughly, I was recently out in my coastrunner(2005) and after smelling fuel, I liftied up a hatch and found raw fuel in the bilge. Immediately diluted it with sea water and headed back in. Found a hole in bottom of fuel tank and fuel constantly running out.

Your fuel line will be at the top of the tank and going into a fitting with a solid pickup line into the tank. Both breathers will be at the top as well.

On removal found 2 other spots on the tank undersurface that were starting to pit/corrode. Had it welded up as the rest of the tank was I good nic.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz

Yeah makes sense, the pickup being a stand pipe. Doesn't make me feel better though if the tanks starting to go! Bigger job

Pulled the tank out no corrosion the alloy looks great, not obvious were she's leaking from, couple of suss welds from factory that may have a pin hole. Cleaning it know and will get her welded. Any suggestions for a good alloy welder in western Sydney?