Port Hacking

Yowie

Anchored up early this morning near the Lilli Pilli bathes, used pillies on ganged hooks.

Pulled out a tailor and missed 2 others that did not hook up. On the 2nd bite, the pillie was stripped from the hooks, so I retrieved the line at a rapid rate to re-bait, and there was a solid hit on the baitless hooks. Out of the water leapt a salmon, over 50cm, and it put up a good fight, Released.

Some fish started splashing near the boat, appeared to be mostly salmon, with a few smaller splashes from tailor. Tried a 15 gram metal lure, the salmon were not interested, but ended up with another 3 tailor up to 38cm. The fish moved away from the boat, then a speed boat turned up with a water skier and that was the end of the fish.

Pumped some nippers, then waded the shallow flats for a long time. Pulled out a just over legal flattie, released, and a bream about 32cm and a whiting of 28cm.

Mostly little pickers taking the nippers. Tried drifting other areas for nothing.

Was down to the last nipper, so tried another spot with about a metre of water over the bank. Drifted along then had a small tap-tap on the line, lifted the rod tip and there was a solid hit, followed by head shakes and a fast run. It was a nice flattie, played it for some time then the hook pulled. Did not get a good look at it as the water was choppy, but estimate over 60cm. Retrieved the line and found a whiting about 20cm on the hook, half dead and missing most scales. It appears the whiting grabbed the nipper, then the flattie grabbed the whiting.

The nor-easter was blowing all morning, making drifting difficult.

Good stuff as always yowie!! Don't know why you put a 15gram metal on :sleep: you should have just thrown out the empty gang hook again and seen if you come up trumps. :thumbup: I'm sick of this nor easter too, it ruins my 2 spots within walking distance :thumbdown:

Cheers scratchie!!!

Good stuff as always yowie!! Don't know why you put a 15gram metal on :sleep: you should have just thrown out the empty gang hook again and seen if you come up trumps. :thumbup: I'm sick of this nor easter too, it ruins my 2 spots within walking distance :thumbdown:

Cheers scratchie!!!

Not too many spots out of the north-east wind, here in Port Hacking, or up there in Port Stephens (unless you live on the Tea Gardens side - a long drive from your place)

Edited by yowie

Nice to see your still pulling fish in, nice to get out the water even in a bit of chop I reckon.

If you don't mind me asking what line and tackle set up do you generally run inside the hacking

Cheers

With the pillies, a 3 gang of 3/0 hooks on 12 pound mono. 6 foot boat rod.

With the nippers, a size 2 longshank hook with a small ball sinker running onto the hook on 6 pound mono. 6 to 7 foot whippy rod.

solid work yowie, what boat do you have, i have the bright orange dingy not sure if you saw it yesterday. that NE wind killed me with drifting!

looks like majority of boats in the hacking anchor up

A white tinny, like most tinnies.