Advice Needed.

Guest Jocool

I have plans to go to the upper reaches of the Hawkesbury this weekend, and try and catch my first ever Bass! :thumbup: Problem is, I have no idea what to expect, or what to look for. :(

My biggest problem is tackle. Will my normal breaming gear in 4-6 lb suffice? I will be taking some 10 lb spin and baitcast outfits as well. I'm pretty sure my SP collection, of all the usual suspects will suffice, but what HB's should I be using? Is it too early in the season to be using poppers, or should I be searching lower in the water column?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and if you don't feel comfortable replying in an open forum, then feel free to PM me. :thumbup:

I have plans to go to the upper reaches of the Hawkesbury this weekend, and try and catch my first ever Bass! :thumbup: Problem is, I have no idea what to expect, or what to look for. :(

My biggest problem is tackle. Will my normal breaming gear in 4-6 lb suffice? I will be taking some 10 lb spin and baitcast outfits as well. I'm pretty sure my SP collection, of all the usual suspects will suffice, but what HB's should I be using? Is it too early in the season to be using poppers, or should I be searching lower in the water column?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and if you don't feel comfortable replying in an open forum, then feel free to PM me. :thumbup:

66612[/snapback]

Hi Joe

your gear is perfect, 2,4 or 6lb for fishing in wider sections that are less snaggy and then the 10lb for when it gets heavier!!

I always give the poppers a go, well worth it! for HB's try attacks, or your ecogears etc, they all work (bass aren't all that fussy)

Spinnerbaits and Jigspins are also well worth using!

good luck!

Chris

Its pretty much the same info that I have summised Dave. So it looks like I'm on the right track in my thinking. I have a reasonable array of HB's but I didn't want to be wasting valuable time on stuff if someone can say that it positevly WON'T work! :thumbup:

As far as the 4-6 lb bit goes, I can notch that up to 6-10 lb without too much drame. But I wouldn't have thought I would need heavier than that! :1yikes: If so, I have a nice new 6KG outfit that can be pressed into service. :074:

Be good to hear opinions from those that have caught Bass consistently. :biggrin2:

I always give the poppers a go, well worth it! for HB's try attacks, or your ecogears etc, they all work (bass aren't all that fussy)

66619[/snapback]

Thanks Chris. Can I add the Cultiva Mirra Shads to that list as well? I assume I can.... and I have a few anyway...:wacko:

Edited by Jocool

Not quite that far up Ankles. My research seems to be pointing to an area further downstream. But I will get more info of you if I want to try up that way next time. :thumbup:

don't take too much stuff Joe, keep it simple. bream gear is fine, no need for heavy gear as the fish are aggressive but not that hard a fighter. Wouldn't usually bother with poppers yet as it only preduces an occasional fish, for ep's try sp's on outside river bends (especially with rock walls) or lipless crankbaits. They are not afraid of 1/4oz jigs so don't think you have to fish light as often as bream and the new gulp prawns have been producing some big mama's. HB's with a big wobble or rattle are good but a bettspin blade with a 1/8oz jig and a paddle/eyeball tail are probably the most productive shoreline/snag bass catchers. Use a leader around 10lb if you are not too accurate at casting as you will probably catch more branches than fish on your first few trips.

I tell 'ya, collecting the info/gear required for such a trip is just as much fun as the trip itself. :1fishing1:

Or maybe it's just me.  :wacko:

66810[/snapback]

100% right mate! It certainly has been an experience. But hey...the anticipation of it all is what keeps us all going isn't it? :thumbup:

With any luck Joe the weather forecast will keep all the skiiers away, but if not you do know the correct way to say G'day to them, don't you :ranting2::ranting2:

:074::074:

66612[/snapback]

hey i think any thing you have there should be ok for a first timer