Combined Boat & car licence , No. II (update)

Geoff

Further to Bob's post I thought it best to add a new post for members to see rather than having it missed in the previous post.

I have today rec my boat licence renewal due on 2/1/15

There was no mention or reference to combining this with my car licence.

I rang RMS to be advised I need to go to the RMS office so they can combine the two. In essence this means cancelling my existing car licence which is only 6 months old & be issued with a new combined licence which includes the normal photo.

For the purpose of this post I am assuming most members have a 5 year gold licence which cost around $450

The cost for a 5 year boat licence is $476.00. ( 1 yr , $114 , 3 yr , $304)

Now , I understand RMS will credit back the remaining amount on your drivers licence.

To make the mathamatics simple , assume you have 50% (2.5years) remaining on your drivers licence so the new cost will be $476 & $225 = $701.

The crunch is , for the sake of saving 1 piece of plastic a bill in 5 years of $926.00 based on todays rates. That is a fair amount $$$$ to be paying in one hit.

For those like me who qualify for a concession the concession is 50% on my boat licence & 100% for my car licence. This works out at a total of $238 for a 5 year boat licence.or $152 for a 3 year.

Personally , based on the above & for the sake of one less piece of plastic , I'm not going to bother

Geoff