Marlin hookup Port Stephens on Monday

boardbandit

Hi everyone, this is my fish post with Fishraider, I have been enjoying everyone's tips and reports for a while now and thought it time for me to give some info back.

We went out yesterday from shoal bay and after struggling to get a few livies headed out to the FAD to check out what dollies were around, not much to report there couple of little fellas around. From there we headed out to the car park, no bait around so started trolling with skirts and made our way north. Came across a couple of areas of bait but not much activity. Then our long rigger got hit we saw a big blue flash, it dropped it, we backed off then went again and it hit one time but no hookup. We circled the area again and again about 15 minutes later it hit our shotgun rig and we were on. This was our first Marlin, it was caos, gear going everywhere. We finally got all the rods stowed and started the fight to see the line go slack then about 300 meters behind the boat a big marlin jump out of the water 3 times trying to shake what was left of our rig loose. We wound in a heap of line to find our double intake but the rest of the rig missing. We believe the windon failed, to say we where disappoint was an understatement. We continued to troll around but ended up going in empty handed.

Great day out though, excellent conditions, blue warm water.

Maybe next time

Cheers Mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weather was great for it on Monday. What was the water temp? The southerly should have pushed it in over the weekend. By any chance were you on board kaos?

Cheers scratchie!!!

Water temp was around 23.5. No was on my boat Ellmad, but did see KAOS out there, would be interested to hear you they went.

Unlucky Mat.. hopefully you will come across plenty more as the season gets into full swing.

Cheers

Damo

Thanks Damo, what do you think of wind on leaders. We normally only run with a small crew and i have setup my gear with wind on's but after that failure i am re thinking.

Cheers Mat

Hi Mat.

I fish out of a trailer boat and don't use wind on's. Some people love em, but found they are not for me. I run a 4m double to a quality snap swivel and have all my lures rigged to a 4m trace on the lures. One day I will lose a tailed wrapped fish but I don't think my odds of hooking a beaky big enough to be longer than the 4m is that good. I believe that rig on 24 is still IGFA legal.

It has brought me unstuck fishing solo with no one else on board to trace the fish in for de hooking and I have had issues gaffing tuna. Once had a tuna take of with half a wrap on the leader in one hand and ripped the glove off, cut into my finger tips and bust off.

So not all good but still my preferred rig. I'm sure there are lots of other options from people with more experience than me. And hopefully they will post up some options and help us all.

Cheers

Did you make the wind on?

I don't do wind ons, but if so I would not be buying unknown rigs. Best be doing all your own rigging.

I'm with fishythings,

Plaited Double

Quality snap,

Crimped leader on about a fish length leader.

Change any item before it hits it's use by date.