What is the worst month to fish?

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

With a string of pretty poor results this month and not through a lack of trying. To answer my own question, I would have to say December is the worst.

I'm not sure if it is, the unstable weather, change in water temps or just plain bad luck, but December seems to always be my worst month of fishing results.

What do you raiders think???

Cheers scratchie!!!

I've no historical perspective as I've only recently taken up the hobby, but I've noticed the past couple of weeks have been very unproductive. My usual spots (shore based) on the lane cove and parramatta rivers have been extremely quiet. I've also noticed the forum reports from the Sydney estuaries have been quiet. Even the two lads who fish the canal at Iron Cove don't seem to be firing lately, so maybe it's not just my ineptitude at work! Merry Xmas to all.

A mate of my old mans has kept a log for the over 39 years, which is now in a spread sheet, and August/September has been the worst for him on average in Syd harbour North. He keeps quite detailed info like what he caught, what he used for bait/lure, tide, moon phase and weather. I've just started last year as I thought it was a pretty good way to start mapping what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I've no historical perspective as I've only recently taken up the hobby, but I've noticed the past couple of weeks have been very unproductive. My usual spots (shore based) on the lane cove and parramatta rivers have been extremely quiet. I've also noticed the forum reports from the Sydney estuaries have been quiet. Even the two lads who fish the canal at Iron Cove don't seem to be firing lately, so maybe it's not just my ineptitude at work! Merry Xmas to all.

Your right but the past few days we have pulled heaps of flatties and bream and whiting on the flats

Just haven't put up report

Cheers Gianni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Scratchie, are you now scratching your head, or are you scratching the "twins" below your waist? :074::074:

Late August into spring is probably the worst down here, hence why I head outside to pick up a few blue spot flatties or tailor.

The fishing is a bit slow at present in Port Hacking, but then there are speed boats, water skiers and jet boats buzzing around which do not help (an RPG would help out) The fish are there, but the constant buzzing of boats does not help.

Too many people on holidays at this time of year, wait until February when school resumes, parents head back to work and water traffic slows down. Autumn is usually best.

Well Scratchie, are you now scratching your head, or are you scratching the "twins" below your waist? :074::074:

Late August into spring is probably the worst down here, hence why I head outside to pick up a few blue spot flatties or tailor.

The fishing is a bit slow at present in Port Hacking, but then there are speed boats, water skiers and jet boats buzzing around which do not help (an RPG would help out) The fish are there, but the constant buzzing of boats does not help.

Too many people on holidays at this time of year, wait until February when school resumes, parents head back to work and water traffic slows down. Autumn is usually best.

We only have to put up with the tourists for a short time but they don't know where the fish are! Lol

this month ive found the inside of the harbour has shut down and ive been going out side and haven't really been having much luck either

winter is usually alright for me as i can catch some good trevally and bream on unweighted baits i would have to say december has been the worst month

the end of summer early autumn is by far the best plenty of kings and good numbers of dollies on the fads

cheers sydneyfisher12

After reading all the comments made by members I am more confused than when the question was put.

The answer I came up with ........ Go fishing more often and don`t worry about what time of year it is.

But......... If you have kept some type of diary you will notice this year has been quite unusually quiet this summer.

Has it been the very hot days we have had which has put too much light in the water and fish have retreated to shelter.

IMO night fishing is the only time to fish Summer. It also appears fisho`s are not adjusting to the change in climate and conditions.

Perhaps chasing fish that are not on the bite.

Are the schools of salmon killing off the food our fish like to feed on.

There have been a couple of short periods of hot fishing that coincided with the moon and favourable weather patterns during the last six weeks.

But I do agree the fishing in general has been a little quiet and a litlle bit of extra effort has been required.

An example of this years fishing is the appearance of reasonable numbers of hairtail in the Hawksbury.

Just some thought into why we are having a slow start .