Gday raiders

bloodycars

Gday ladies and gents, firstly thanks for accepting me into your forum.

Been doing some looking thru the threads and there's some interesting stuff.

I'm a Sydney based bloke (campbelltown area) and own and drive trucks for a living so spare time doesn't happen much . But lately been getting the urge to go fishing again. Grabbed out the rods few times once went down to nowra (is it green bay?) But alas was raining all weekend and didn't even get a bite.

Tried again last Saturday near Tom uglys bridge in a hire boat with my step son and he caught a small Australian salmon. Back further towards como we had few nibbles but no luck.

So this brings me to a few questions. What's the best sort of bait to use around Tom uglys? Or what other areas are good to fish at. I grew up fresh water fishing in tas so this salt water stuff baffles me a bit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC

Hey bro, Welcome to Fishraider...

Firstly let me tell you, Toms ugly bridge is a waste of time! I live 45 seconds from the boat ramp there and its an awful bridge to fish under from a boat. The Georges is a tough one to crack at times. Personally if you were at Toms... you may as well take the 2 min trip into Botany Bay and fish the channel around Dolls Point.

Prawns in the bay (buy them from the supermarket seafood counters) are a top bait, I don't peel them either. Are you looking to be boat based or land based? And what are you looking to target?

The more info the better.

Finally - the search function can answer a lot of questions but obviously feel free to post questions and generally get involved. We have a lot of useful info and knowledgeable people on here who are willing to help everyone out. When you get the chance to have a flick, post up a report so we can keep tabs on how you are getting on and offer more advice if needs be.

Happy Christmas.

Ed

Hi mate around Tom uglies freshly butterflied yakkas, squid or prawns put u in for a good chance of flathead, jewfish, salmon and bream. Using the yakkas as live bait puts you in for a small chance with some kings if they're up that far the river.

Just burley up at the wharfs and the yakkas will come use the smallest hook possible

If ur on the boat and can move around you can move to towra point or wooloware bay plenty of bream and flathead to be had there.

Hey bro, Welcome to Fishraider...

Firstly let me tell you, Toms ugly bridge is a waste of time! I live 45 seconds from the boat ramp there and its an awful bridge to fish under from a boat. The Georges is a tough one to crack at times. Personally if you were at Toms... you may as well take the 2 min trip into Botany Bay and fish the channel around Dolls Point.

Prawns in the bay (buy them from the supermarket seafood counters) are a top bait, I don't peel them either. Are you looking to be boat based or land based? And what are you looking to target?

The more info the better.

Finally - the search function can answer a lot of questions but obviously feel free to post questions and generally get involved. We have a lot of useful info and knowledgeable people on here who are willing to help everyone out. When you get the chance to have a flick, post up a report so we can keep tabs on how you are getting on and offer more advice if needs be.

Happy Christmas.

Ed

Atm land based unless I hire a boat. (Spent way to much money on my toy and forgot about fishing lol) but am looking for a reasonable prices boat in next 6 months. Targetting? Mate I'm used to fresh water where u have trout or Atlantic salmon lol so if it bites I'll catch it lol.

I just love the fight so most of my rods are light line (2-6lb) I've got a surf rod that's got 40lb braid on it but I wouldn't know where to even go to start on that.

Lastly what the he'll are yackas?

Baitfish! find them, and you'll have a better chance at something bigger - livebait!

Like you I was mainly a fresh water fisherman until 20 months ago and now I have my own boat and catch a feed regularly in Botany Bay. There is a massive difference but one thats easily learnt - luckily you already know the basics! Its an easy transition... easier if you know what you want to catch. If you're in it for the fight, Aussie Salmon, Tailor, Kings - all the peligics really, much more fun than flatties in my opinion. If you get yourself onto a boat going outside a headland i find nothing fights better than Bonito on light gear - although id recommend going up to 14lb leaders due to teeth!

Good luck!

Mate I'd love to go off shore and hit up some tuna on light gear. I've been on a charter few times and hooked up a bluefin. Was on 80lb line was good fun but a 40lb fish on 80lb line isn't a fight u can lose if ya smart. Now a 18lb Atlantic salmon on 3 lb line on a. Grub now that was fun lol.

As for flatties. They might taste good but from experience there as much fun to catch as herpes at Christmas.