First ever Mowie at Kiama

fishywang34

Went to Kiama over the Christmas period and had some time to go fishing. Headed out one morning with some banana prawns from woolies. 50% off as well because they were closed the next day. Ended up getting 500g for $5.

The waves were pretty tame for the rocks so I chucked out a piece unweighted, not 5 minutes later i had a decent size wrasse so chucked that in my keepr net.

Fished for another 30mins without a bite. Then out of nowhere I felt a tap tap and a great tug. My drag started screaming and my poor rod was bent like i had never seen before. 2 minutes later i managed to get it at my feet when disaster struck! There was no more fight but instead I was snagged. The fish had run into the rocks and weed. 5 minutes of free spooling saw no improvement. I was about to cut my loses when suddenly the line started moving again. Dragged the fish to the surface and realised I had forgot my keeper net at home and it was not looking good with the frayed line. Another nerve wracking several seconds later a wave came in just enough that i could drag it to my feet. I was pretty much shaking from that encounter.The fish measured up to be about 39cm and 1.3kg. There was what seemed to be a old injury from an encounter with a spear on its dorsal fin. Could not have been better timing with my parents calling me home for breakfast right after. There was quiet a feast that night.post-34401-0-41113100-1419590121_thumb.jpg

post-34401-0-22183900-1419590272_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishywang34