Port Hacking 24/04/2020

Franco

Hey All,

So last Friday I went out again for the second time in a week, absolutely unheard of for me due to work and other commitments.

Started on the water at the usual crack of dawn and started doing my favorite thing, jigging for calamari.  Within the first 1 hr or so of drifting we grab enough for a feed. As soon the sun started the come up he calamari were off the bite and it was time for a good old bottom bash.

Went to spot X and we fished the reef for a good 2 hours or so for a nice mixed bag of fish. x1 nice legal pan size snapper at 31cm a thumber flathead, mowie and few of the usual suspects. 

Towards mid morning the wind started to pick up a bit so we decide we had enough fish for the family,cousins, etc and we decided to head in for a nice lunch at Bundeena  as I had enough feeding the fish and I needed to feed myself. it was straight home from there. Great day to be out on the water, sure beats a good day in the office.

20200424_132406.thumb.jpg.abfae1652d2cab1fb49b670f9da9fec9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 4:38 PM, Franco said:

Hey All,

So last Friday I went out again for the second time in a week, absolutely unheard of for me due to work and other commitments.

Started on the water at the usual crack of dawn and started doing my favorite thing, jigging for calamari.  Within the first 1 hr or so of drifting we grab enough for a feed. As soon the sun started the come up he calamari were off the bite and it was time for a good old bottom bash.

Went to spot X and we fished the reef for a good 2 hours or so for a nice mixed bag of fish. x1 nice legal pan size snapper at 31cm a thumber flathead, mowie and few of the usual suspects. 

Towards mid morning the wind started to pick up a bit so we decide we had enough fish for the family,cousins, etc and we decided to head in for a nice lunch at Bundeena  as I had enough feeding the fish and I needed to feed myself. it was straight home from there. Great day to be out on the water, sure beats a good day in the office.

20200424_132406.thumb.jpg.abfae1652d2cab1fb49b670f9da9fec9.jpg

Well done mate! Nailed

• Like 1

16 hours ago, skirulz said:

What fish are the red ones with the spikes as welll as the little red ones with the black strip?

The red fish on the right are Red Rock Cod, and the fish with the stripes on the left are Maori Wrasse.

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789
On 4/29/2020 at 9:29 PM, Franco said:

Thanks Guys, The rock cod are good for fish soup as well.

Winters coming boys stock up on ya fish :) (few more trips before it comes obviously)

I catch more fish in winter!

14 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Soft or sensible??

Going out in the middle of winter in an open tinny isn't much fun imo!

Haha sensible as the boat Layover period is like June July from memory lol. 

Yeh open tinny wouldn't be fun at all. 

Guest Guest123456789

No such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. And it’s easier to say warm than keep cool

11 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

No such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. And it’s easier to say warm than keep cool

🙄

The reward has to be worth it though if your going to be wet & uncomfortable!

Inshore is much harder to get a result on the fish imo when the water temp drops below something like 18/19c

If I could fish offshore & get onto the nice snaps & kings etc I would put up with the cold.

But I am happy to fish when I enjoy it but each to their own 😉

Mate I know what cold is, I've hiked 11,000 foot peaks @ -30c, I don't think to many on here could say they have been there!