More family fun on Botany Bay

Mutt

Another fun family day out on the Bay! Took the brother in law and the nephews out for a spin yesterday, left at the gentleman's hour of 8am. Boat started like a dream (after 10 long weeks of work and no play) and headed to the bait shop. I know it's old fashioned but I rarely miss on the old Hawkesbury prawns and generally the larger size prawns attract the larger fish and not so many pickers. Pumped a few nippers (boys loved this the most I think!) Started towards Kurnell / The Drums but a bit lumpy for the young ones. Anchored in about 5m of water and cast out with a variety of nippers / prawn / pilchard. Well the nipper was first, a blistering run on my brother in law's rod, not the most experienced fisherman (yet) but played it well, gave him a great fight and....BLOODY ray! Of course, I did the 'bloody big flathead' call first (they always look like big flatheads to me as they come up!)

Next to go was the pilchard, and that dreaded feeling of big weight, no fight. A lovely Port Jackson came up, great fun for the boys! I had never noticed the sharp spikes near their dorsal fins before, they look nasty! Final fish was a hard fighting trevally that the brother in law played like a champion.

Went a bit quiet so went into the river and drifted with the incoming tide. First fish on a pilchard piece, a 50 cm flathead, great there's my dinner... For the next 2 hours it was fish after fish, bream, small snapper, whiting, squid, toad, octopus, flathead. Most were undersize but the boys had a ball. Near the end, my lightest line went spinning. Had the best fight, drag set perfectly on the wife's new rod and boated my PB trevally (didn't measure but it was about 40+cm I'd say and FAT!)

Went into Como for hamburgers and chips and was able to clean the 3 fish we kept (2 flathead and the trevally.) Made our way home, eldest nephew saying the day was 'epic!' Fried flathead for dinner and although there is a lot of waste, made sashimi out of the trevally - it was DELICIOUS with soy, ginger and wasabi, happy wife!

LOVE SUMMER......

post-18618-0-54962200-1419714967_thumb.jpg